New Koso grips and Gerbing Power Port Installation

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Despite being in South Carolina, it does feel a little cooler these days, so the existing heated grips on the 94 weren’t really working anymore, so I did a little bike rehab (on both the 94 and the 2000 actually). Both bikes have all of the following accessories:

Leaning to the left and plugging in the controller for the vest was a little bit of a pain, so I installed a Gerbing power port, so now all you have to do is reach with the left hand and plug in:

Then I installed the Koso grips for heat- I like the fact that there’s no need for a separate controller for these and it’s a thumb switch to turn them on and off and vary the heat:

I unfortunately ordered the 120 mm grips (too short) and the gap bothered me, so on the right, I placed a rubber grommet between the switch cluster and the grip and use my Go Cruise throttle lock, so it now has its own small recess (throttle is not bound and releases properly):

I installed my Zumo 396 as well while I had everything open for the other electrical upgrades...it’s a very nice piece and works well with my phone and BT earpieces (Plugfones Liberate):

Final thing: Amazon Syktik TPMS...works well so far (the only thing I can’t correct is getting max tire temp in degrees F):

I got myself one last thing and that’s a heated seat cushion from Dennis Kirk for $44:

Ready for winter riding!!!!!!

I took a ride today. Overcast with a little unexpected light rain from time to time, maybe upper 40’s temp wise. With winter gloves, the heated vest and heated grips, I was very comfortable. I think the seat pad will complete the package (not looking to get chaps at this time).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I like the Gerbing power port install. Very handy.
S heated seat cushion? Christmas came early for you. :)
Overall, the parts weren’t too expensive- the grips were a bit ($103 per set), the TPMS was $49 with the sensors per unit, and the Gerbing ports were $20 each. The GPS was $260, but can be had for less (I recall $234) and I had to get an extra mount and wiring for the 2nd bike. It’s all done and I’m pleased with the results, so all good here.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
so I installed a Gerbing power port, so now all you have to do is reach with the left hand and plug in
I didn't want to drill into any Tupp but that's a clean and efficient farkle and I shouldn't resist.

The self-contained aspect of the Kosos is particularly nice. I see the red LED. What state of operation is that indication.

And a heated bike pad. I had no idea! Even though riding up this way is pretty much year round it can get a little cool. For < $50 that's a handy bit to throw in the pannier. It doesn't seem to have an auto-off like the Kosos. Did you wire it to a IGN controlled source? Is there any temperature control other than On/Off? That may be typical of heated seats in general though. Nice work all around.

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The colors of the Koso grips are blue-green-yellow-orange-red to indicate coolest to hottest setting. The pad I plan to see if I can hook it to my vest and use the heat controller not only for the vest but for the seat pad. I think it’ll work, and if not, I can just use the on/off and the SAE plug I have coming off the battery, so either way, I should be good

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Those are some nice farkles. I just got the same TPMS when my HawksHead got water in it (my fault). I have my heated gear plug free floating as it comes out ~6" from under the front of my seat. I sometimes forget to unplug, and with the free floating end, it unplugs no matter what position my body's in. I like that better than a fixed jack, which will grab, unless you pull straight out.

Also, I like your choice in music! ;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Also, I like your choice in music!
Do all your EXes live in TX? That could be a bother.

paulcb said:
I have my heated gear plug free floating as it comes out ~6" from under the front of my seat.
Does the plug rub against the Tupp while you ride? Any wear or damage to it?

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The colors of the Koso grips are blue-green-yellow-orange-red to indicate coolest to hottest setting. The pad I plan to see if I can hook it to my vest and use the heat controller not only for the vest but for the seat pad. I think it’ll work, and if not, I can just use the on/off and the SAE plug I have coming off the battery, so either way, I should be good

I got a chance to try the heated seat pad yesterday...plugged it into my vest, so the vest and pad are now controlled by the TourMaster controller that’s held on my left thigh- all works very well together. It was upper 40’s riding in SC yesterday and very comfortable, even on the highway.

Top Bottom