New member, new ride 1996 ST1100

Bike
1996 ST1100 Pure Red
I bought a low miles non-abs '96 model, then sat on it to ride home. duh and ouch
I am too tall for the setup, so I will have some items up for sale.
I have been reading up on the tall people mods here, thank you all for sharing !
This looks like a great group to be a part of...
So my issue is hip angle, I am 6'1" but need more space between the pegs and seat.
I ordered knight design drop pegs as I am not that agressive in the corner, don' think I will scrape.
removed a nice Corbin Rumble seat that will be for sale and put on the stock seat that came with the bike.
It has gen 1 Heli bars that do not come back far enough, so ordered Rox 3" risers. I like the "flip clip"
idea from Uncle Phil, but 1" is not enough. I will employ flip-clip on my 1990 TransAlp
I have an extra wind screen and still deciding for sure on the muffler. It has a Two Brothers racing system
that is too loud in my opinion, but the stock cans came with the bike.
Here is the question: will the stock mufflers bolt up to the collector or is that part of the 2 Bro system ?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Welcome to the forum, from Maryland.

Can't answer your questions since my ST was a 1300. Swapping the stock seat for a Russell improved comfort and added almost an inch of seat height. You could do worse, if Russell still does seats for the 1100.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I bought a low miles non-abs '96 model, then sat on it to
removed a nice Corbin Rumble seat that will be for sale and put on the stock seat that came with the bike.
It has a Two Brothers racing system
Here is the question: will the stock mufflers bolt up to the collector or is that part of the 2 Bro system ?
Welcome! Surprised you don't fit better. I'm 6ft even, 32" inseam, and the bike fits me perfect. Didn't think 1" would make that much of a difference....

That said, you will sort it out. There are so many mods that can be done, have been done, you'll get it how you want it.

Interested in the seat, and the mufflers if you put them on the block.

RT

OP
OP
M.T. Glass
Bike
1996 ST1100 Pure Red
Welcome! Surprised you don't fit better. I'm 6ft even, 32" inseam, and the bike fits me perfect. Didn't think 1" would make that much of a difference....

That said, you will sort it out. There are so many mods that can be done, have been done, you'll get it how you want it.

Interested in the seat, and the mufflers if you put them on the block.

RT
low back surgery limits my flex, might have to resort to yoga and physical therapy, but... I WILL RIDE

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
M.T. Glass
Bike
1996 ST1100 Pure Red
Welcome to the forum, from Maryland.

Can't answer your questions since my ST was a 1300. Swapping the stock seat for a Russell improved comfort and added almost an inch of seat height. You could do worse, if Russell still does seats for the 1100.
Thanks. Russel or Sargent both get high marks when I am ready. I also have a sheepskin pad that adds an inch (fits the passenger position better)

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! Have you tried raising the rear shock up a notch or two to increase ride height? Not sure about the mufflers as most full exhaust systems seem to be different sizes to the original muffler fittings.

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to the forum, M.T. Glass! You'll find most of the members here are at least half full :thumb: and will have many answers for your ST questions. Don't be shy to ask questions and you'll find a wealth of experience and wisdom in the responses!

See you 'round the forum!
Sheriff

Bike
2004 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you can't modify the current exhaust I will be happy to sell you my stock exhaust system. It came off of my 2000 during a tech event in May 2017.
$100.00 + shipping.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I bought a low miles non-abs '96 model, then sat on it to ride home. duh and ouch
I am too tall for the setup, so I will have some items up for sale.
I have been reading up on the tall people mods here, thank you all for sharing !
This looks like a great group to be a part of...
So my issue is hip angle, I am 6'1" but need more space between the pegs and seat.
I have the exact same bike. There are only three bolts to the orig pipes. Two under and one by the bags. I hated the can sound and went back to the stock pipes. I love it
I also dont like the forward sport position. Im also going to go with risers. I suspect if you do the 3” you will need all new cables.
I ordered knight design drop pegs as I am not that agressive in the corner, don' think I will scrape.
It has gen 1 Heli bars that do not come back far enough, so ordered Rox 3" risers. I like the "flip clip"
idea from Uncle Phil, but 1" is not enough. I will employ flip-clip on my 1990 TransAlp
I have an extra wind screen and still deciding for sure on the muffler. It has a Two Brothers racing system

Top Bottom