New NoMar tire changer

Bike
2010 ST-1300

I finally broke down and bought a tire changer. I go through 1 1/2 sets of tires each year on my ST. I also own another bike that gets a set every other year. My wife has a bike as well. I figure it will pay for its self after just a few changes. I tried it out the other day. It worked fine. Only problem is it's a bit tricky to get the tip under the first bead when dismounting the tire. I use wood blocks but it's still pretty tricky. I'm thinking about buying the https://www.nomartirechanger.com/XtraHand_Clamp_p/ac-eh-clamp.htm. Has anybody here tried one of these or have any tips on getting the tool under the bead?

thanks

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The xtra hand clamp is more for getting the rim to get into the bottom contact points to secure it to the changer when dismounting and also to raise the bead more in the center of the wheel when mounting the new tire.

Are you talking about getting the tip of the bar into the bead to start the demount process? For that, you really just need to lub up the tire/rim and press straight down to get the edge of the tire to gain some gap and get that tip in there, then twist so the tip grabs the tire. BS Battleaxe tires have very stiff sidewalls and are probably the hardest tire to demount/mount.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400

I finally broke down and bought a tire changer. I go through 1 1/2 sets of tires each year on my ST. I also own another bike that gets a set every other year. My wife has a bike as well. I figure it will pay for its self after just a few changes. I tried it out the other day. It worked fine. Only problem is it's a bit tricky to get the tip under the first bead when dismounting the tire. I use wood blocks but it's still pretty tricky. I'm thinking about buying the https://www.nomartirechanger.com/XtraHand_Clamp_p/ac-eh-clamp.htm. Has anybody here tried one of these or have any tips on getting the tool under the bead?

thanks
Congrats on your new NoMar.
Should pay for itself quickly with 3 bikes to service.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I'm thinking about buying the https://www.nomartirechanger.com/XtraHand_Clamp_p/ac-eh-clamp.htm. Has anybody here tried one of these or have any tips on getting the tool under the bead?
I have three of the Xtra Hand Clamps and they work fine, but seriously, for the price, I find wood blocks work almost as well. On the blocks, I drill through and run a short piece of paracord through them with a loop to make for easy removal. In my NoMar days I found that the blocks were more useful for mounting than demounting. For demounting, once I got the full bead into the bead well and made a start with the demount tool, that it would stay in the well except for the part of the tire just in front of the tool. I just pushed that down manually as I went around the tire far enough to free it. Remember that lube is as important for demount as for mount. I use spray lube to demount and paste to mount. You can get Ru-Glyde of Murphy's paste for less than half the cost of NoMar's lube.

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
The xtra hand clamp is more for getting the rim to get into the bottom contact points to secure it to the changer when dismounting and also to raise the bead more in the center of the wheel when mounting the new tire.

Are you talking about getting the tip of the bar into the bead to start the demount process? For that, you really just need to lub up the tire/rim and press straight down to get the edge of the tire to gain some gap and get that tip in there, then twist so the tip grabs the tire. BS Battleaxe tires have very stiff sidewalls and are probably the hardest tire to demount/mount.
[/QUOTE

Are you talking about getting the tip of the bar into the bead to start the demount process?

Yes I just put wood blocks on the bottom bead to get the bead into the posi clamps. I'll try more lube next time. The thing I was concerned about was that the top bead was pushed down so far that I was past the plastic tip on the demount bar and was worried about scratching the rim.

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
I have three of the Xtra Hand Clamps and they work fine, but seriously, for the price, I find wood blocks work almost as well. On the blocks, I drill through and run a short piece of paracord through them with a loop to make for easy removal. In my NoMar days I found that the blocks were more useful for mounting than demounting. For demounting, once I got the full bead into the bead well and made a start with the demount tool, that it would stay in the well except for the part of the tire just in front of the tool. I just pushed that down manually as I went around the tire far enough to free it. Remember that lube is as important for demount as for mount. I use spray lube to demount and paste to mount. You can get Ru-Glyde of Murphy's paste for less than half the cost of NoMar's lube.
Once I get the tip into top bead and the tip turned I have no problems getting the tire off. Getting the tip past the top bead and rim is a SOB. It was also about 40 degrees after a night that got down to the 20's when I changed it. More heat and lube should help :)

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
...The thing I was concerned about was that the top bead was pushed down so far that I was past the plastic tip on the demount bar and was worried about scratching the rim.
Yes, you may have to go down past the plastic tip to grab the bead, but once you have it you can pull it up into the plastic part before you break it over to apply leverage.

EDITED TO ADD: If you break it over from "way down there" you are putting a lot of force on the tip and may break it off. If you pull it up before starting to break it over, you increase the leverage on the bead.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
You'll get a multitude of responses to tyre changer issues but I think important points are ensuring the bead is down in the drop area around as much of the rim as possible, I use blocks and have used clamps as well, and use lube judiciously. As Joe says Bridgestones can be a major headache, even tube types can cause a lot of sweat, several times I've resorted to levers and have considered cutting them the off more than once!
The major advantage of the changer for me is the ability to solidly hold the rim in place. Once the rim is locked in place then tyre irons or the mount/demount bar can do thier job. Suggest to get a set of the posi clamp rim holders as there are wheels that cannot be fitted inbetween the cam blocks due to the o.d. of the rim or the stiffness of the sidewall.
Experience here is the main thing, watch as many No Mar videos as you can, but doing is the thing.
Enjoy.
Andy

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks Andy I do have the posi clamps.
Unlike the normal clamps, I found it difficult to keep the wheel from spinning with the tire using the posi-clamps unless I strapped one spoke of the wheel to one arm of the changer using a nylon strap.

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Unlike the normal clamps, I found it difficult to keep the wheel from spinning with the tire using the posi-clamps unless I strapped one spoke of the wheel to one arm of the changer using a nylon strap.
I did the same to avoid over tightening the clamps.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Me too, I strap to all 3 arms on my nomar, takes a bit more time but imo worthwhile for tougher rear tires

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I pretty much do that most

Top Bottom