SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Recall Notice Received Today - August 3rd, 2011

Guys, I received a recall notice today in the mail for my 2009 ABS model. I did a search for the topic and did not find it, but surely I am not the only one. It reads that my particular bike could develope a leak in the rear brake line if the suspension is bottomed-out.

Does anyone have photos of the damage? Can you tell me where this pinch hazard is so I can look/inspect for myself? Lastly, will Honda compensate the owner if that work is performed by me?

Thanks and if this is already out here, a link would be appreciated.

Regards, Gordon
No, you're not the only one. The recall has been going on for about two or three weeks. Dealers can't even release any ST1300s they sell until the recall has been performed.

I have no clue (yeah, sometimes I'm clueless..:confused:) what the damage could be, but mostly from what I heard was they replace your rear hose(s)...not even sure about that.

I doubt if they would allow someone to "perform" the fix...I'm sure there has to be some kind of liability attached to it....but I'm just guessing.

Glad to help you out! :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Guys, I received a recall notice today in the mail for my 2009 ABS model. I did a search for the topic and did not find it, but surely I am not the only one. It reads that my particular bike could develope a leak in the rear brake line if the suspension is bottomed-out.

Does anyone have photos of the damage? Can you tell me where this pinch hazard is so I can look/inspect for myself? Lastly, will Honda compensate the owner if that work is performed by me?

Thanks and if this is already out here, a link would be appreciated.

Regards, Gordon
No, you're not the only one. The recall has been going on for about two or three weeks. Dealers can't even release any ST1300s they sell until the recall has been performed.

I have no clue (yeah, sometimes I'm clueless..:confused:) what the damage could be, but mostly from what I heard was they replace your rear hose(s)...not even sure about that.

I doubt if they would allow someone to "perform" the fix...I'm sure there has to be some kind of liability attached to it....but I'm just guessing.

Glad to help you out! :D
Some info and pics here
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?104947-ST1300-Rear-Brake-Reservoir-Hose-(Bike-Years-2008-2010)

Bike
ST1300 Sept2008

I received an email from my dealer here in the UK to contact them re a new safety recall notice. I have booked it in to have the work done next week when it goes in for a service. as you have all stated it relates to the rear brake hose. As a result of the threads I went out and checked last night and could see no damage. The bike has however covered very few miles in the three years Ive had it (do most of my miles on a works bike) It has also never carried heavy loads other than me and of course my wife who I would never describe as heavy :) Strange thing is I could find no recall information on the UK VOSA site.

Well I got my letter in the mail today and so I went and visited the service dept and took down my information with the words to follow "we will call you when the parts come in". At least they didnt wanna take my bike without parts. They also told me that I am not the only ST that came in asking and or inquiring about this. This kinda dont make sence, I thought that Ma Honda was to make the replacement parts and have then pretty much available by time the letter was to go out. I had to kinda tell the wife lately no double up till the bike is fixed and well she is getting anxious to get out and ride. Come on Ma Honda get them parts out I'm missing my riding companion.

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
Same here in Greece, I contacted them by phone and they said that my letter is in the mail, but the part will take approx 20 days to arrive....

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I purchased the recall part/kit from my selling dealer for $48 and had them ship it to me. They could not give me the part nor can they document mine as repaired unless they do the work. It is a stock item, so it can be purchased and installed by the owner. Why? several reasons -
1) It is a 6 hour round-trip for me to get to my selling dealer and I'd have to give them 2 hours for the repair. I don't have an 8 hour day to waste and certainly can't drive the 300 miles with trailer for $48.
2) It is 110 degrees this week and there is no da.. way I'm going to ride the bike back on the busy Interstate in 110 heat.
3) I have a strong dis-trust for warranty or recall work being done by a shop mechanic that is getting 1.2 hour book rate pay.
4) I bleed brakes and clutches all the time during restorations, overhauls, and fluid changes. I think I'm better at it than 95% of the shop guys - certainly those "don't give a da.. catagory ones in my area.

Regards, Gordon

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Had mine replaced yesterday. No letter from Honda, but dealer had received a notification to contact owners. Original hose was a braided type and was replaced with a rubber type hose. On ultimatemotorcycling site I got the following information:
Honda has recalled 2008-2010 ST 1300 motorcycles due to brake defects; Honda says 2,232 motorcycles are affected.
Honda says the following motorcycles are recalled: 2008-2010 ST1300 built from Nov. 15, 2007 through May 27, 2010; 2008-2010 ST1300A built from Nov. 7, 2007, through April 6 2010; and 2009 ST1300PA Police Motorcycles built from Nov. 18, 2008, through Dec. 8, 2009.
When the rear suspension on the ST 1300 motorbike is repeatedly bottomed out (fully compressed), the rear brake reservoire hose may become damaged and leak brake fluid; if this occurs, the rider could experience a loss of rear-brake performance, increasing a risk of a crash.
Dealers will replace the ST 1300 motorcycle's rear-brake reservoir hose free of charge. The motorbike safety recall is expected to begin on or before July 26, 2011. Owners may contact Honda at
Hope this helps you all.

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
Got my letter two days ago and went to the Honda dealer today. The recall was a total surprise to them. They had no info. on it but said they'd look it up on the Internet, order the part(s) and call me to have it installed as soon as they come in. I too am a bit leery of Honda warranty work and will pay attention to fluid level, fluid leaks, and rear brake performance.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Re: To Search for Recalls or Tech Svc Blltns

Just got a safety recall notice for my 08 ST1300. Recall #(NHTSA RECALL 11V-356). It says that when the rear suspension is repeatedly bottomed out(fully compressed) the rear brake reservoir hose may become damaged and leak. This could lead to brake loss if it goes undetected. Anyone else get this recall? It says to plan on leaving the bike all day, so it must be a minor fix. Also....if you have changed your hose already, you still need to do the recall, because the hose has been redesigned to address this defect condition.

Top Bottom