New Rider and Free Sag Numbers

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Having a little more understanding of rider sag vrs free sag and how to measure it I have a question.

My front free sag is 28.5mm
My front rider sag is 35.5mm

Having read that 36mm is the sweet spot I feel that the rider sag is good, but is the free sag too much? What is the range?
If the free sag is too much does this mean my spring is too strong?
I am using the racetech .95 springs with my 220 weight.

Rear free sag is 14.78mm
rider sag at rear is 35mm
Same question is free sag too much or what is the good range?
This is a stock shock with racetech 1200 lb spring. about 10 clicks preload.

Last edited:
Having a little more understanding of rider sag vrs free sag and how to measure it I have a question.

My front free sag is 28.5mm
My front rider sag is 35.5mm

Having read that 36mm is the sweet spot I feel that the rider sag is good, but is the free sag too much? What is the range?
If the free sag is too much does this mean my spring is too strong?
I am using the racetech .95 springs with my 220 weight.

Rear free sag is 14.78mm
rider sag at rear is 35mm
Same question is free sag too much or what is the good range?
This is a stock shock with racetech 1200 lb spring. about 10 clicks preload.
It is my understanding that free sag on the front is not as important as the rear. If the static or rider sag is appropriate and acceptable for your riding style and the fork normally operates within it's travel without either bottoming or topping out all is good. Topping out is apparent under hard acceleration and a zip tie on the fork tube shows the maximum compression after a test ride. For comparison my weight of 150-155 lbs gives a rider sag is 36 mm and free sag is 21. I have about 9 or 10 mm of travel left in the forks under maximum braking forces, leaving that cushion for harder braking or hitting a bump(s) under hard braking. Stock springs with 16 mm more preload from stock setting.

I think your rear sag indicates a spring that might be a little too stiff as free sag should be between 5 and 10 mm with preload set to the desired rider sag. Too much free sag indicates the spring may be too stiff for your weight as it is compressing less when your weight is added compared to just the weight of the bike alone. Too little free sag indicates the opposite - the spring is too soft and requires a lot of preload to set rider sag and without the weight of rider the spring is close to topping out. My rear sag is 7 mm.

My own preference is to run less rider sag out back to help make up for raising the front ride height 11 mm. I dropped the forks 5 mm in the clamps and set rear sag at 28 or 30 mm to help sharpen the steering geometry lost when setting the front sag at 36 mm from 47 with stock springs and spacers.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that free sag on the front is not as important as the rear. If the static or rider sag is appropriate and acceptable for your riding style and the fork normally operates within it's travel without either bottoming or topping out all is good. Topping out is apparent under hard acceleration and a zip tie on the fork tube shows the maximum compression after a test ride. For comparison my weight of 150-155 lbs gives a rider sag is 36 mm and free sag is 21. I have about 9 or 10 mm of travel left in the forks under maximum braking forces, leaving that cushion for harder braking or hitting a bump(s) under hard braking. Stock springs with 16 mm more preload from stock setting.

I think your rear sag indicates a spring that might be a little too stiff as free sag should be between 5 and 10 mm with preload set to the desired rider sag. Too much free sag indicates the spring may be too stiff for your weight as it is compressing less when your weight is added compared to just the weight of the bike alone. Too little free sag indicates the opposite - the spring is too soft and requires a lot of preload to set rider sag and without the weight of rider the spring is close to topping out. My rear sag is 7 mm.

My own preference is to run less rider sag out back to help make up for raising the front ride height 11 mm. I dropped the forks 5 mm in the clamps and set rear sag at 28 or 30 mm to help sharpen the steering geometry lost when setting the front sag at 36 mm from 47 with stock springs and spacers.

Thanks for that info, as always very well covered on the suspension topic.

Most of my riding is on the slab. But when in the twisty's I like to ride a little on the aggressive side. The bike feels good , way more stable than the stock setup was for me.

Back
Top Bottom