New ST1300 owner with a few questions.

Bike
06 ST1300
Hi. I just got my 06 ST1300 a week ago, and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer :)

1. When I have the windscreen about half-way to fully upp, I feel that the bike is a bit "tipsy" on the steering. I can absolutely understand that the windscreen is high enough to make a difference, but Is this normal?
2. Are there a windscreen fabricator / company that makes windscreens that are "the same" as the original in form and size? I would like a new windscreen, but the original Honda windscreen costs about 1/6th of what I gave for the bike. I have a Puig at the moment, but I like the original look better.
3. I am trying to find a luggage rack that fits on top of the original top-case. Can anyone please give me a pointer to one that fits?

And, i absolutely love the bike. Should have bought one years ago!

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Others with more knowledge than me will likely chime in but raised windscreen combined with the OEM top box with nothing between the rider and top box is known to produce a light/squirrelly feeling front end. One thing that can help is to increase the preload on the rear shock. Check the preload adjuster, if not properly maintained it may not have enough oil in it to actually increase the preload. It's an easy job to remove the adjuster and top it off with fresh oil (you can search the forum for many posts about that). An aftermarket rear shock would be even better. Also, remove the top box unless needed. It's ok with a passenger or stuff strapped to the rear seat when traveling, but with an empty rear seat it can create a void for wind to "wrap around" the rider and create the vortex that "wiggles"the bike.

I think I have a spare windscreen but I imagine that shipping from the US to Sweeden would be prohibitive.

And welcome!

OP
OP
fashlend
Bike
06 ST1300
Thank you for answering. Funny that you mention the preload adjuster. I just now came in from the garage. having cleaned and refilled it :) There was almost no oil left in it and from having only two "lines" on the scale before it provided some kind of resistance, it now have only two or three turns before it does what it's supposed to.

Ok. I'll try to remove the top box before my next ride and see if that helps. Makes all kind of sense really when I think about it. And shipping a screen from the US to Sweden is probably not a good idea. And it would cost a fortune in import taxes here in Sweden I guess. But thank you for even considering it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi. I just got my 06 ST1300 a week ago, and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer :)

1. When I have the windscreen about half-way to fully upp, I feel that the bike is a bit "tipsy" on the steering. I can absolutely understand that the windscreen is high enough to make a difference, but Is this normal?
2. Are there a windscreen fabricator / company that makes windscreens that are "the same" as the original in form and size? I would like a new windscreen, but the original Honda windscreen costs about 1/6th of what I gave for the bike. I have a Puig at the moment, but I like the original look better.
3. I am trying to find a luggage rack that fits on top of the original top-case. Can anyone please give me a pointer to one that fits?

And, i absolutely love the bike. Should have bought one years ago!
The light steering feel of the ST1300 is "normal" to this bike. However, not knowing exactly what you are describing it could be made better or eliminated, or no change at all with changes to windshield, tires, and suspension adjustments or repairs. The linked search hit on a lot of threads where "Pan Weave" was in the text.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Welcome!

I'm not close, either, but maybe @STooRay can give a pointer or two, regarding a local windscreen. He's in Norway and has an St1300.

Regards,
Steve

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
@STumped has mentioned the two points that I was going to mention but I'll say it anyway - partly to completely agree, and partly to offer an alternative !

1. The bike definitely behaves differently without a pillion when the top box is fitted - for exactly the reason described. The wind 'eddies' behind your bike and clouts the top box from the sides, alternating left and right. The top box itself is on a sliding mount which is supposed to absorb some of this movement. Possibly the previous owner thought this was dangerous and did something to prevent that lateral movement. The movement is cushioned by oval shaped rubber inserts which are designed to give way to the sliding movement, but which cushion it.

Having said that, it goes away. When you get used to it (which doesn't take too long). My top box is on all of the time, and I ride with / without a pillion. I no longer notice it. My feeling is that you feel it and so you react to it. You tense up. Your reaction isn't anywhere fast enough, so instead of adjusting for the slight movement, you actually exaggerate it. You don't learn to react properly - you learn not to react at all. Loosening you grip on the bars helps. If you feel you are gripping tightly - try imagining gripping a thicker bar - so your hand is in the form of a grip, but is hardly touching - but ready to if you need to. I don't mean you should ride all the time like this. Just try it to reassure yourself that how tight you grip the bars doesn't make the bike ride better !

2. Pre-load. I was going to suggest the opposite. But if you need some.

One issue I found, moving from the ST1100 is that the front wheel feels as though it is really tucked under the front of the bike, and I found that to be very un-nerving at first. When taking it camping, two up, the pre-load would be wound up quite high - otherwise the suspension would bottom out when going over some bumps. I'd often forget to wind it dwon when we returned - and that felt very twitchy.

One reason is that when you increase the preload, it raises the rear of the bike from where it was before. This tucks the front forks silghtly so that the front wheel is even further back. You need the pre-load to be at the correct setting, but I found that if you wind it up too much, it makes the bike feel very twitchy - and it 'feels' less stable when in winds.

Again, you get used to it. And it stopes being an issue. Just like standing on a surf board for the first time. ONce you have done it a few times your muscles / reflexes / brain do not regard the movement as being anything that it needs to compensate for (or over compensate for).

Pan Weave was a phenomenon attributed to the 2004 and earlier bikes. Honda changed the way that the swing arm was mounted after that and is unlikely to be an issue on your 2006 model. THere are three type of mounting for the swing arm. From 2006 models, it has remained the same.

Top Box Rack. Givi E96 is good. Mounted either way round, but if you have the rear spolier/brake light it will fit ony one way.
I'll come back with a pic.

Get used to the bike. Ride with the screen down. Don't add to much pre-load - in fact try dropping it a tad. Tale off the top box of fit a pillion for a while. Get tyre pressures correct 42/422 psi. Check your tyres for being squared off. Check your wheel bearings. Make sure that the front wheel has been tightened in the correct sequence (ie redo it - I'll add a link after I've posted this).

Edits.

The Givi E96 rack. Mounted this way it looks as though the front gets in the way of the pillion - but it doesn't.

However, when I fitted the brake light spoiler, I turned it round the other way and I sawed that loop that seems to protrude off.

1710011915118.png

1710012508429.png

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your :bk13: :hat3:

I would ride the bike around for awhile before making any changes to it.

OTHER than swapping out the stock saddle for a "comfortable" one! :)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
@STumped has mentioned the two points that I was going to mention but I'll say it anyway - partly to completely agree, and partly to offer an alternative !

1. The bike definitely behaves differently without a pillion when the top box is fitted - for exactly the reason described. The wind 'eddies' behind your bike and clouts the top box from the sides, alternating left and right. The top box itself is on a sliding mount which is supposed to absorb some of this movement. Possibly the previous owner thought this was dangerous and did something to prevent that lateral movement. The movement is cushioned by oval shaped rubber inserts which are designed to give way to the sliding movement, but which cushion it.

Having said that, it goes away. When you get used to it (which doesn't take too long). My top box is on all of the time, and I ride with / without a pillion. I no longer notice it. My feeling is that you feel it and so you react to it. You tense up. Your reaction isn't anywhere fast enough, so instead of adjusting for the slight movement, you actually exaggerate it. You don't learn to react properly - you learn not to react at all. Loosening you grip on the bars helps. If you feel you are gripping tightly - try imagining gripping a thicker bar - so your hand is in the form of a grip, but is hardly touching - but ready to if you need to. I don't mean you should ride all the time like this. Just try it to reassure yourself that how tight you grip the bars doesn't make the bike ride better !

2. Pre-load. I was going to suggest the opposite. But if you need some.

One issue I found, moving from the ST1100 is that the front wheel feels as though it is really tucked under the front of the bike, and I found that to be very un-nerving at first. When taking it camping, two up, the pre-load would be wound up quite high - otherwise the suspension would bottom out when going over some bumps. I'd often forget to wind it dwon when we returned - and that felt very twitchy.

One reason is that when you increase the preload, it raises the rear of the bike from where it was before. This tucks the front forks silghtly so that the front wheel is even further back. You need the pre-load to be at the correct setting, but I found that if you wind it up too much, it makes the bike feel very twitchy - and it 'feels' less stable when in winds.

Again, you get used to it. And it stopes being an issue. Just like standing on a surf board for the first time. ONce you have done it a few times your muscles / reflexes / brain do not regard the movement as being anything that it needs to compensate for (or over compensate for).

Pan Weave was a phenomenon attributed to the 2004 and earlier bikes. Honda changed the way that the swing arm was mounted after that and is unlikely to be an issue on your 2006 model. THere are three type of mounting for the swing arm. From 2006 models, it has remained the same.

Top Box Rack. Givi E96 is good. Mounted either way round, but if you have the rear spolier/brake light it will fit ony one way.
I'll come back with a pic.

Get used to the bike. Ride with the screen down. Don't add to much pre-load - in fact try dropping it a tad. Tale off the top box of fit a pillion for a while. Get tyre pressures correct 42/422 psi. Check your tyres for being squared off. Check your wheel bearings. Make sure that the front wheel has been tightened in the correct sequence (ie redo it - I'll add a link after I've posted this).

Edits.

The Givi E96 rack. Mounted this way it looks as though the front gets in the way of the pillion - but it doesn't.

However, when I fitted the brake light spoiler, I turned it round the other way and I sawed that loop that seems to protrude off.

1710011915118.png

1710012508429.png
John the information about swing arm changes is not correct, at least for civilian US models dating from 2003. The assembly list of parts for all civilian model years of sale in North America is the same except for a minor revision in the left swing arm pivot bolt that occurred during the 2003 production run. Pan Weave can occur on all MY year bikes sold over here. Honda stopped sales of the 2002 model to redesign the swing arm pivots. Honda introduced this bike in the UK and Europe with a set of swing arm pivot bolts that were shimmed with various thickness shims in order to set bearing preload but these shimmed pivot bolts never appeared on North American bikes. Our bikes use applied torque to the pivot bolts to preload the swing arm bearings. The parts lists and diagrams for UK bikes and US bikes make this black and white clear.

US police models retained the original pivot bolt configuration that uses shims.

Regarding preload on the rear shock to settle the bike down at speed - I suggest one must always take the rider(s) weight and cargo configuration into account before suggesting certain amounts of preload as good or not recommended. Payload affects suspension sag and is easily measurable and the first step in suspension adjustment or tuning. Changes in sag are then a function of preload, if the preload mechanism is serviced and works as designed. The 900# stock spring is inadequate for the shock to function properly for larger or heavier solo riders and practically all two up couples. With a payload of 400 lbs it's impossible to dial in "too much sag", the bike is bottoming out the shock on a regular basis. With a payload of 200 lbs that spring performs adequately with enough preload available to set sag so the rear shock operates in the middle 1/3rd of its 123mm travel.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The information comes from the ST1300 A2.A3 workshop manual and the A4 Section 28 Addendum.
This describes the installation / tightening instructions for the different types of Pivot bolt / mounting.

I am aware of three different types - I think: 2002, 2003, 2004 onwards.

ST1300 2002 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg ST1300 2003 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg ST1300 2004 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg

The 2002 photo is identified in the UK shop manual as '02 early products and '03 - but the addendum does not show this.
The middle photo is described in the UK manual and the addendum as '02 latest products.
The addendum includes the last photo under the heading 'After 2003' - although I have seen a UK 2004 model that had the arrangement shown in the middle photo. Hence my comment 'After 2004' - because I know of an ST1300A4 which had the middle swing arm pivot bolt arrangement.

The first two bolt the swing arm by tightening the centre bolt and then locking with the lock nut.
The 2004 (after '03) version is adjusted with shims with very precise tightening / slackenening and measuring procedures.

Regarding the pre-load. My suggestion is based purely on the learning experience that I had when I got my brand new ST1300A6, having come from an 1100. We travel fully loaded, two up and our first long ride on it was to Spain. Great riding, I really liked it. But I forgot to re-adjust the suspension on return and I rode it solo - and it frightened the life out of me. It felt so twitchy and unstable.

I relaised that I hadn't wound down the pre-load after our return, os did that and it was instantly back to normal. I made the same mistake a few times on other occasions. Realised, stopped and returned it to my normal position.
I could not make the same observation now. I generally leave it in the two up position and never notice the difference when riding. I'm used to it.

But I was making a suggestion for a new rider feeling the bike being twitchy and relaying my experience.

Set up properly, as you describe, is certainly the best way to go. But out on the road a new rider with a twitchy bike - it might be worth winding it down a few notches and sorting it out properly when he gets home.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The information comes from the ST1300 A2.A3 workshop manual and the A4 Section 28 Addendum.
This describes the installation / tightening instructions for the different types of Pivot bolt / mounting.

I am aware of three different types - I think: 2002, 2003, 2004 onwards.

ST1300 2002 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg ST1300 2003 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg ST1300 2004 Swing Arm Bolt.jpg

The 2002 photo is identified in the UK shop manual as '02 early products and '03 - but the addendum does not show this.
The middle photo is described in the UK manual and the addendum as '02 latest products.
The addendum includes the last photo under the heading 'After 2003' - although I have seen a UK 2004 model that had the arrangement shown in the middle photo. Hence my comment 'After 2004' - because I know of an ST1300A4 which had the middle swing arm pivot bolt arrangement.

The first two bolt the swing arm by tightening the centre bolt and then locking with the lock nut.
The 2004 (after '03) version is adjusted with shims with very precise tightening / slackenening and measuring procedures.

Regarding the pre-load. My suggestion is based purely on the learning experience that I had when I got my brand new ST1300A6, having come from an 1100. We travel fully loaded, two up and our first long ride on it was to Spain. Great riding, I really liked it. But I forgot to re-adjust the suspension on return and I rode it solo - and it frightened the life out of me. It felt so twitchy and unstable.

I relaised that I hadn't wound down the pre-load after our return, os did that and it was instantly back to normal. I made the same mistake a few times on other occasions. Realised, stopped and returned it to my normal position.
I could not make the same observation now. I generally leave it in the two up position and never notice the difference when riding. I'm used to it.

But I was making a suggestion for a new rider feeling the bike being twitchy and relaying my experience.

Set up properly, as you describe, is certainly the best way to go. But out on the road a new rider with a twitchy bike - it might be worth winding it down a few notches and sorting it out properly when he gets home.
I suggest looking up each year in the Honda UK parts lists/diagrams for a full understanding of the swing arm assemblies by model and model year. If interested - also the Honda US parts lists.

But back to topic of the original post.... sorry for the thread hijack.

Top Bottom