New ST1300 Owner

Hello all, just celebrating the arrival of my new-to-me ST!
I've been a long term V4 fanboi, including a FV500F, followed by some 4th and 5th gen VFRs.
After selling my last 5th gen several years ago, I had been looking at sport tourers, and this bike popped up at a great price 5 miles away from me. Just under 40k, the PO has just done a service on it and is a really cool guy to talk about cars, motos and bicycles.
Its an 05 with just under 40k miles. Looks to be in good condition, I'll need to do some scratch repair, polishing of bodywork and some Avalon King ceramic coat. I've ordered a set of GoldWing hard bag protectors.
As a bonus, its almost the same color as the family Bolt transporation appliance.

Attachments

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Congratulations on your new bike. Looks like custom seat and hiway wings at least. Keep up the maintenance with support from this site and it should do you well for many miles.

OP
OP
THanks all! Yes it does have a Sargent seat as well as the original. Also came with a Givi top box and a set of LED brake lights and he put in a set of Progressive fork springs. Not sure when/if the fuel filter got changed, so I'll start researching that.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate.....
I had one of those......
New 06 ST1300 May '15 049.jpg
T

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks everyone, love the international connections! I found Igofar's fuel filter thread and ordered a filter kit and OEM lines

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I've been a long term V4 fanboi, including a FV500F, followed by some 4th and 5th gen VFRs.
After selling my last 5th gen several years ago, I had been looking at sport tourers, and this bike popped up at a great price 5 miles away from me. Just under 40k, the PO has just done a service on it and is a really cool guy to talk about cars, motos and bicycles.
Its an 05 with just under 40k miles. Looks to be in good condition, I'll need to do some scratch repair, polishing of bodywork and some Avalon King ceramic coat. I've ordered a set of GoldWing hard bag protectors.
As a bonus, its almost the same color as the family Bolt transporation appliance.
Hello fellow Ohioan! I got a 2003 ST1300 a couple months back and it's been a blast.

Quick things that I did and have been thrilled about so far.

Added a CarPlay/AndroidAuto unit. It was less than $100 from Amazon and I've had no issues with it. Wires in really simply, and connects to a helmet com. I can keep my phone in my pocket, or a tank bag when I eventually get one, or the top box, or wherever, keeping it from the elements, and control music, navigation, calls, etc.

1710711649001.png

I've also added a USB port and battery gauge to the right-side fairing, almost directly out from the battery. It replaced a 12V cigarette lighter socket someone had installed, but if you're going to do it you'll need to make a hole. I strongly suggest picking up a step drill bit set from Harbor freight for this so you don't leave scratches everywhere trying to get a spade bit to bite like the prior owner had.

Mine came with a Bestem TBox 929, which is unfortunately discontinued. It has LED lights pre-installed, and they now function as an ignition-activated extra tail light. Visibility never hurt anyone. Inside the box I added a fuse box and some branch-out circuits. Another USB port to the inside of the box, a USB port external to the box so a passenger could plug in, a big bluetooth speaker can be set up, whatever. The tail lights are run through the fuse box, and so is a light inside that's turned on by the lid to the box opening. If the lid is closed, the light is off.

1710712373057.png

1710712446485.png

The whole top box has a waterproof industrial connector fed to it, so it can still be removed in seconds if you want it off for whatever reason.

1710712409043.png

Largely, the same thing can be achieved with any of the Givi Monokey top boxes or its clones on Amazon. Unfortunately Givi feels that adding a few LEDs to their already-$400 top cases should cost another $100, so your mileage may vary. I can't find any TBox 929s on eBay at the moment or else I'd heavily suggest it. Freaking love the box.

Also, looks like you've got a Sargent seat on yours, which has me properly jealous. That's the next project on mine, I think. That or cruise control...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations on your new motorcycle. I owned a 2005 for 12 years.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. Medina? Not far away. And @ Sirbike is in Garrettsville. I ride with the Cleveland BMW club. We have a couple of members down your way.

You might find this article useful.

OP
OP
Tpasco thanks for the details on the farkles! It came with a Givi top box which I probably won't use a whole lot but definitely nice to have.
Funny you mention the AA/ACP head unit, I had already picked one up a couple months ago.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Tpasco thanks for the details on the farkles! It came with a Givi top box which I probably won't use a whole lot but definitely nice to have.
Funny you mention the AA/ACP head unit, I had already picked one up a couple months ago.
Maybe it's because I had never previously seen the bike without the box, but I feel like it squares out the profile better to have it on mine. If I hated myself more I'd tie the light to get brighter with the brakes, but my brain hurts at the idea of running a wire tap to a relay and re-doing a whole bunch of soldering...

Between the handlebars there are two M6 threaded holes. I used a 20mm M6X1.0 flange bolt I already had laying around for the knockoff Ram ball and it worked perfectly. Also kept it close enough to the body that I had no issue running the wire under the gas tank.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Welcome from White Rock BC.

Top Bottom