New to me ST1300

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I guess it’s time for a proper introduction of the latest ride in the stable. Due to a recent post, I came down with a terrible case of new bike fever. After a few communications and some serious prodding from an anonymous member (Raymond), I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Here’s the original posting.

Noticed a facebook post today in Brownsville MN. Says $8950 for the whole rig. In some ways nicer than the St1100 Hannigan I cruise around on. Here's the link. That's all I know.

View attachment 317329
While I was struggling with how to get it home, since it’s wider than most open trailers, Raymond called with some really good advice, “Buy it, and I’ll drive you to get it.“. He drove up from Pensacola on Wednesday, spent the night, and we drove the 800 miles and ended up spending the night in Wisconsin with @Still A Badger on Thursday night, who lives directly across the river from the the seller. Early Friday, we drove to pick up the bike, with Carl tagging along to take a look. The bike is immaculate for a 2006! Only 11K miles. The seller had purchased the bike at an estate sale of the original buyer who purchased the bike in 2008 and had the sidecar added soon after buying.

The Bike
2006 ST1300 with 11K miles, Sargent seat, heated grips, headlight modulator, factory heated grips, and the widest windscreen that we’d ever seen. The original owner was a little anal about details, because there are PSI stickers on the 3 wheels, stating pressure settings and a fuel tank sticker, listing octane and volume of the tank. Also included was a Givi Maxia top box with brake lights. It still has the factory tool kit and tank prop rod under the seat.

The Hack
The car is a 2008 Hannigan Bandido with seat wide enough for 1 1/2 riders. Nice windshield and tonneau cover, all like new.

The Ride Home
800 miles, 14 1/2 hours, in heat from 90 to 102. We swapped out on riding the bike with Raymond riding the majority of the miles, including navigating Nashville, after dark on a Friday night. I have to say that the sidecar needs tuning, as it pulls to the right. The bars had to be held to the left to counteract the pull and my arms are just beginning to get their feeling back. Neither one of us knew enough to know which way to adjust the linkage to correct the ride, so we just pressed on. I’ll probably schedule a ride to Kentucky and visit Hannigan for a tuneup. Here it is at home, in my driveway. Whew, what a trip!

IMG_0380.jpeg

Special thanks to @W0QNX for the driving up and riding back and thanks to @Still A Badger for buying dinner and putting us up for the night.

John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations on the new machine. I tried a sidecar rig for a while and found it wasn't for me, at least at the time.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I haven't rode or even seen an ST so new looking since I got mine in 2009. She's a beaut John. I can't wait to see pics of your little buddy riding "sidecar shotgun".

Congrats on the hack John, very cool. I would like to ride around drinking martinis and smoking cigars as you chauffeur me around - can't wait,

Jack

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad I found this thread! I was wondering what happened, since you announced you were going to get it.
Really nice that you found an older ST that has been kept up and maintained, too -- I wondered whether you would have an SMC to deal with.
Your trip to Hannigan for service is quite similar to my riding to Bushtec to have the pet lid installed on my trailer. I'm really glad both manufacturers are not on the other side of the country.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess it’s time for a proper introduction of the latest ride in the stable. Due to a recent post, I came down with a terrible case of new bike fever. After a few communications and some serious prodding from an anonymous member (Raymond), I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Here’s the original posting.

While I was struggling with how to get it home, since it’s wider than most open trailers, Raymond called with some really good advice, “Buy it, and I’ll drive you to get it.“. He drove up from Pensacola on Wednesday, spent the night, and we drove the 800 miles and ended up spending the night in Wisconsin with @Still A Badger on Thursday night, who lives directly across the river from the the seller. Early Friday, we drove to pick up the bike, with Carl tagging along to take a look. The bike is immaculate for a 2006! Only 11K miles. The seller had purchased the bike at an estate sale of the original buyer who purchased the bike in 2008 and had the sidecar added soon after buying.

The Bike
2006 ST1300 with 11K miles, Sargent seat, heated grips, headlight modulator, factory heated grips, and the widest windscreen that we’d ever seen. The original owner was a little anal about details, because there are PSI stickers on the 3 wheels, stating pressure settings and a fuel tank sticker, listing octane and volume of the tank. Also included was a Givi Maxia top box with brake lights. It still has the factory tool kit and tank prop rod under the seat.

The Hack
The car is a 2008 Hannigan Bandido with seat wide enough for 1 1/2 riders. Nice windshield and tonneau cover, all like new.

The Ride Home
800 miles, 14 1/2 hours, in heat from 90 to 102. We swapped out on riding the bike with Raymond riding the majority of the miles, including navigating Nashville, after dark on a Friday night. I have to say that the sidecar needs tuning, as it pulls to the right. The bars had to be held to the left to counteract the pull and my arms are just beginning to get their feeling back. Neither one of us knew enough to know which way to adjust the linkage to correct the ride, so we just pressed on. I’ll probably schedule a ride to Kentucky and visit Hannigan for a tuneup. Here it is at home, in my driveway. Whew, what a trip!

IMG_0380.jpeg

Special thanks to @W0QNX for the driving up and riding back and thanks to @Still A Badger for buying dinner and putting us up for the night.

John
I see 3 windscreens, 4 if you count the hack screen. What is that small screen behind the main bike screen? I've never seen one like that.

Top Bottom