New, unused ST 1100 carbs - Thoughts

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Seeking thoughts on how a sett of new unused carbs would have stood the test of time . Don't know the exact date of them , but would think they could be at least 25 years old. They also look ,well kept, brand new. Been on the shelf many years.
Don't have any problems with ones I have , but I have been thinking of a cleaning /rebuild one day , and this might be a good alternative . Price wise cheaper than a compleat rebuild of the old ones - if all the rubber in there is ok. What d ya think ??

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
New = no gas varnish, so good…bad = old rubber so maybe a lot of rubber parts needing refurb. Personally, I have the original carb set on both of my STs. I had the 2000’s set get gummed up (pilot jets) years ago- cleaned them, reinstalled and all has been fine since. I’m in the camp that if your bike runs fine, then I wouldn’t mess with it. I use ethanol free gas primarily. No leaks either. If I run into an issue, then fix it, otherwise, ride and maintain but don’t over-maintain. This is just one opinion though.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd inspect, overhaul and bench-sync them, and then put them in a sealed containment...

Properly rebuild and used frequently they hold up for decades in those motorcycles... ST don't like long periods of grounding though... especially with those "modern" fuels now...
Also having an eye on that secondary air-filter (I replace it every 24,000km/ever 2nd air filter)...

Having spares is always wise, nicked a set of NOS diaphragms with sliders from a British gentleman... despite (hefty) import & duty fees still a bargain...
Bowl gaskets, jets, air-cut membranes, couple of O-rings, isolators...
better safe then sorry, hard to get parts in time with a planned tour departure coming in 3 weeks... Murphy strikes right there, always...

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Yea , its a crap shot. I can't inspect them ,too far away. He's got my name ,will see if he or me makes an offer. Can the diaphragms and sliders be changed, with out pulling the carbs?

Top Bottom