New VStrom 1000/650

Bike
VStrom 650

Newly styled 1000's and 650's are on the way apparently, taking their cues from the "DR" bikes. Anybody remember the DR Big, or something like that. States combined braking will also be used. I know there's some interest on here for the Stroms so I thought it was worth posting. I don't know enough about these to know what the differences are but the screen and headlight looks different, or not.
Upt'North.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Here's a view of the 2015 model. Noticing that they've stacked the headlights rather than having them side-by-side; windscreen is a slightly different shape. Muffler positioned lower. Looks like they added some housing / protection around the bottom front of the engine- earlier models had a skid plate option available. Brush guard / tip-over guard still not a stock item, evidently, although hand guards seem to be unless they were simply an option on the bikes sent for photographing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not really new styling, been like that for a couple years now. I almost got the 650 version when I was contemplating a new bike but ended up with the Tracer instead.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Not really new styling, been like that for a couple years now. I almost got the 650 version when I was contemplating a new bike but ended up with the Tracer instead.
Joe see your point, I think something was lost in translation. Seems like CBS will be on 2019 bikes but it also said,
Paridaka replica called “Pharaoh of Kaitori” = 1988 SUZUKI sports adventure tourer V-Strom series inheriting the design of DR750S. The 650cc and 1000cc classes will receive the 2019 coloring change including the wire spoke wheel XT.

Maybe more to come later, or not?
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe see your point, I think something was lost in translation. Seems like CBS will be on 2019 bikes but it also said,
Paridaka replica called “Pharaoh of Kaitori” = 1988 SUZUKI sports adventure tourer V-Strom series inheriting the design of DR750S. The 650cc and 1000cc classes will receive the 2019 coloring change including the wire spoke wheel XT.

Maybe more to come later, or not?
Upt'North.
The XT was introduced a couple years ago, maybe 3.. so that's not new..

correction, the XT was available last year

Last edited:

Newly styled 1000's and 650's are on the way apparently, taking their cues from the "DR" bikes. Anybody remember the DR Big, or something like that. States combined braking will also be used. I know there's some interest on here for the Stroms so I thought it was worth posting. I don't know enough about these to know what the differences are but the screen and headlight looks different, or not.
Upt'North.

Suhweeetttt ! If I didn't already have a 2012 Glee , and being in the hunt for a Red ST , well not totally if $$$ is right , I'd be interested in an Upgrade myself. Love it :woohoo:

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I was looking at a 650 xt but found a 1200gsa and bought it. I wish the 650xt had a bigger gas tank

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Yeah, STs and GSs will spoil you when it comes to range.

Something was lost in translation afterall. It was a colour change on the Stroms for this year and maybe this beast next year. I'm guessing it won't be for the vertically challenged. And look at the cc. There would seem to be a lot of journalistic guessing about the bike. Nothing new there.
Upt'North.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
For fans of the V-Strom 1000 XT there's a neat article in the Jan/Feb 2019 Cycle Canada print issue about upgrading the big Wee, including suspension at both ends, windshield, seat and luggage. The author bought the bike, Cycle Canada's long-term tester, because it was the simplest big-bore adventure bike he could find. In his words, "I bought it because the lack of electronic suspension means less complication, because the lack of power-operated windshield meant less weight (especially up high) and because I really don't want - or need - a multi-configuration dashboard/tablet distracting me from the job of piloting a high-speed two-wheeler". At the end he claims he spent $6500 on the upgrades, but now has a bike that is as comfortable as the Triumph Tiger 1200, lighter than the Boxer GS, and handles as well as any of Ducati's similarly equipped big-bore Multistradas, but for less money than any of them. I really enjoyed the article, having gone through a similar upgrade journey with my STeed.

According to the article the 2019 "Adventure" version of the 1000 XT will include heated grips, an accessory engine guard and "most importantly, some excellent SW-Motech side cases".

Cycle Canada also has a nice review online about the 2019 Tracer GT for Mellow. :)

Bike
2005 ST1300
Love that bike, the options that come with the XT are well worth it compared to the basic model 900.
I could not find an answer yet but you would know. Premium or regular fuel?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Love that bike, the options that come with the XT are well worth it compared to the basic model 900.
I could not find an answer yet but you would know. Premium or regular fuel?
Premium is recommended.. but I've used reg/mid grades when that was all that was available.

Top Bottom