New water cooled boxer spotted

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/bmws-liquidcooled-boxer-spotted-wild/#more-18483

This has been rumored for a while new due to ever tightening emissions. Evidently the death of air cooled engines is nearly upon us, which is too bad in my opinion.

On the plus side, I can see BMW squeezing some more power out of this new engine, which may help BMW retain ex KGT customers that are put off by the extra weight of the K16's.

On the other hand, I'll miss the simplicity of the air-cooled boxer. Of all the twins I've owned, the DOHC boxer was the smoothest most pleasant twin to tour with.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
When they do come out with it, if they mind their Ps and Qs, the new bike may surprise you, in that that the water cooling may allow them to improve the power without substantially losing the feel. the water cooled single cylinder dirt bike engines, didn't really lose much flavor due to the switch in cooling, and they actually gained something power wise.

That being said, I'm already happy to have the valve train simplicity of the Hexhead. I like doing all my own maintenance, large or small in nature, and simplicity is and attractive quality in a bike to me as well.

I hope to like mine well enough to hang onto it for a long time to come anyway.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
They never marketed it and said it was impractical because it was too heavy. I wonder what (if anything) changed?
hmmm perhaps it's a complete redesign?

The 1K SV I had was a water cooled twin, and the bike was 400 and change lbs. wet. Much smoother engine and way faster as well, likely due to the weight differences, and longer RPM spread to red line. 90 degree v twin, but it wasn't top heavy at all. I would think if they did a ground up redesign, the weight troubles could be made to go away.

What's next? A watercooled Harley?? Oh that's right... they already have one. I think they have sold a couple of dozen.

Re a watercooled boxer: it may not actually be much heavier than the air/oil cooled boxer. The size of the cylinders on the latest R12s is massive and would be unnecessary with water cooling. The oil cooler could be ditched and be replaced with the water radiator. And the increased HP could well be a good bargain in the power-to-weight equation.

BMW moves ahead. Honda stays put.

pete

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Huh. They tried watercooling the boxer a while ago. They never marketed it and said it was impractical because it was too heavy. I wonder what (if anything) changed?
The only thing that has changed is that bikes have become progressively heavier anyway, so a heavier boxer twin with a few more bhp sudenlt becomes acceptable.

Top Bottom