Newbie Intro

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow, Mr. D., you sure took your sweet time getting back here.
(I'm Mr. Procrastinator myself, so I know it when I see it.)
Sure do love the roads in the NW of Arkansas, haven't done much else over there.
As you poke around in here, don't overlook the For Sale section.
Good luck looking, and buying. Ask questions, get answers.
Welcome from The Magic City, in the Heart of Dixie!

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Different ECM. What Honda changed within the ECM is unknown.
There have been a few reports of this same failure on post 2007 ST1300's, but the numbers are so low and with the reports that I have seen being third-hand I consider this to be irrelevant so far.

Did not intend to make you paranoid, only better informed.

Maybe if you had a Honda scanner, otherwise not as far as I know.

So far the above is what is most commonly reported by people who continue to ride with this condition, some for several years. I am not aware of any other damage being caused directly as a result of using the motorcycle with this defect present.
Hello from Mountain Home Arkansas also. Just moved here a little over a year ago. Anything I can do to help you out, I would be happy to. Had a ST for a couple of years, but moved over to a K 1600 about 10 years ago. This is a great forum for all kinds of sport touring bikes. Welcome!

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Hello from Arkansas all, just wanted to stop and say hi. I've been looking for a proper sport tourer for a little while, looked at concours, fjr, tiger, K-bikes and then thought of the st1300 so I started reading up. So far it has moved to the top of the list unless I find something very unsettling about them but I doubt it. My current daily is a '17 Vstrom 650. I've done a couple of 2,000+ mile trips on it and it does alright but I want a tad more luxury and comfort I guess. Not ready for a Goldwing. Seems there are a ton of ST's for cheap with reasonable miles to be had. I'm just going to lurk around on here for a while, learn more about them and any quirks about them (like an apparent high speed wobble with a top case, but what is considered high speed?). Anyway, thought I would say hi, learn more about them and keep an eye on the for sale section. Others in my garage besides the vstrom are a '98 ZX-11, '96 Aprilia RS250, '88 ZX-10 and a '62 Honda S90.
Welcome from Mountain Home also! Let me know if I can help you out in anyway. Great place to ride bikes for sure.

OP
OP
81Delorean
Bike
'17 DL650 Vstrom
Hello from Mountain Home Arkansas also. Just moved here a little over a year ago. Anything I can do to help you out, I would be happy to. Had a ST for a couple of years, but moved over to a K 1600 about 10 years ago. This is a great forum for all kinds of sport touring bikes. Welcome!
I looked at the older BMW K bikes and some of the RT's but there's something that scares me a little with older BMW's and not knowing the history of them.

OP
OP
81Delorean
Bike
'17 DL650 Vstrom
Well, the seller got greedy and "sold" the bike two days before I was going to go get it. Guess he couldn't wait. Anyway his buyer backed out, wife didn't approve apparently so the seller reached back out to me to see if I wanted the bike still. I declined, not because I didn't want the bike but mainly out of spite. So my quest is on for a different one. I did find another one, 2007, I asked about the FI light and he did say it was on and it was a code 23 (oxygen sensor heater?). He told me he took the stock exhaust off, had something else on for a while and then put the stock ones back on which is when the light came on. He can't figure it out, not sure he knows what the code is or means. Could be something as simple as failing to hook it back up? Bad sensor? Or something deeper I should be worried about? Bike is extremely clean and has 34,000 miles. I haven't looked at it in person yet. Any thoughts?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I read your first near miss, I thought I'd have used the opportunity to discount your offer... not so much from spite, but as leverage.
"Look, you just had a busted deal. I have the cash, and I don't mean to insult you, but would you consider $xxx (something less than the asking price)?"
Same with the second one... "I'm not sure, this could be an ECU issue, and they're very hard to find today. How about $xxx?" Again, less than his asking price.
I'm not really mean, but my motto is Never Pay Retail, so even in a private transaction I'm looking for a deal.
I'll leave it to others, to tell you if bike #2 is worth it... ECUs are almost unobtainable, and expensive when you do find one, if it's new.
Is look for a 2008 or later, strictly for that uncertainty factor.
You can find an ST1300, but it may require more time and patience.

Top Bottom