Newbie Q’s pls

I’m close to purchasing an ST 1300, but just read several reviews that mentioned the heat thing. I’m s 35+ year bmw rider and about fed up. I’m also a little concerned about protection having ridden an R11RT for a good number of years. Thanx for allowing me in. I’ll read what else I find in the forum and look fwd to ur replies. Thanx

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I’m close to purchasing an ST 1300, but just read several reviews that mentioned the heat thing. I’m s 35+ year bmw rider and about fed up. I’m also a little concerned about protection having ridden an R11RT for a good number of years. Thanx for allowing me in. I’ll read what else I find in the forum and look fwd to ur replies. Thanx
If the bike is tuned properly the heat is not an issue. I have owned three and ridden in 100+ weather and noticed the heat but it is allot cooler than an air cooled bike. Just don't ride in shorts and flip flops....:thumb:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Howdy Gene, welcome aboard.
I used to ride both boxers and K bikes.
The weather protection on the RT is about the best in the mc world.
Having said that, the ST has very good weather protection.
The heat issue seems to vary from ST to ST.
It does appear that with a proper TB synch the 'problem' goes away.
You will be intoxicated with the smooth power of the ST as you eat up the miles.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

For the heat issues, and being a owner of multiple ST1300s, and as Todd said, tuned properly makes a big difference.

I have had three '04 - '05 (still have one) and two '10 - '12 (still have both). The thing to know is that the '08s & after run a bit hotter. And those fancy lower side covers aren't there for looks.... :cool:

If you buy a :bl13: with higher mileage or a cop bike, look for maintenance records or be ready to replace ALL fluids.

Good luck on your search!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Welcome Gene. Heat- I can't speak to that as I just purchased my 1300 in February.
Protection- I just got caught in the mountains during a winter storm warning. Snowing like mad, poor visibility and at one point temps at 28f. Passenger and I had mesh jackets and pants under a rain suit. It was cold after a couple of hours but we stayed dry except for the toes of my boots. I sure don't recommend riding in blizzard conditions, but the ST afforded great protection. This was after I lowered the windscreen nearly all the way down since I could not see through it for the snow buildup.
You will not regret buying a 1300!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Gene:

I've had a ST 1100 for 17 years and a ST 1300 for the past 5 years. Never had a problem with heat on either one of them.

The weather protection is pretty good, especially if you get a 1300 that has an electrically-adjustable windshield (not all of them do).

I strongly recommend that you get an ABS model - the ABS only has to work once to justify its presence.

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I also have had no issues with heat but a lot of people have and it seems to vary by bike. If you'er an ATGATT guy it might not make much difference. I'm not.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have a 1991 ST1100 and a 2006 ST1300. The only time I have heat issues is in stop n go traffic after our hellmouth has opened for the summer. Otherwise, they are comfortable rides.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Welcome to the forum.

For the heat issues, and being a owner of multiple ST1300s, and as Todd said, tuned properly makes a big difference.

I have had three '04 - '05 (still have one) and two '10 - '12 (still have both). The thing to know is that the '08s & after run a bit hotter. And those fancy lower side covers aren't there for looks.... :cool:

If you buy a :bl13: with higher mileage or a cop bike, look for maintenance records or be ready to replace ALL fluids.

Good luck on your search!
Yeah, they are there to trap the heat inside and make the bike hotter :rofl1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, they are there to trap the heat inside and make the bike hotter :rofl1:
While keeping the added heat is generates, from the added catalytic material in the mufflers, off of your legs! This is why I have a set of 03-07 NIB mufflers that will be going on my 2012, when I put the NIB '05 Tupperware on it! :nanana1:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I ride an '04, live in the South (GA) and I'm usually (99%) ATTGATT. My 1300 is hot. No qualms about it. I don't do much local riding June - August mainly because of the heat and humidity that is usually present. I'll still ride if it's a good RTE or SToc event that I really want to attend. On the interstate it's not bad but once you get off for gas or whatever reason it's hot. It is what it is.

You said you're a 35+ yr BMW rider and fed up. Can you elaborate?

Skip

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got a 2010 ST and I mounted the rubber wind guards. With a Calsci windshield I am almost totally protected from rain. I've only experienced the heat on a couple of very hot days - when I've been riding behind guys who are pushing it thru the twisties and I am shifting up and down a lot, accelerating and braking out of and into the next turn. Working the motor hard on a hot day will generate enough heat to make itself felt. Riding position (knees out a bit) and speed make a difference. Over 50 mph I never feel any heat from the bike. In fact, the protection is so good, that on v. hot days I will unzip my jacket, lower the windshield and stand up on the pegs to get a cooling blast.

Top Bottom