Newbie Question RE ST13 Brake Problems

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Do a Valve Check NOW and often.
I appreciate what you're saying but after checking the valves on 3 ST1100's over a 10 year period and never having had to swap shims, I think I'll stick with the recommended interval. Baseline will begin at 16k miles (or whenever the manual calls for) It wasn't a hard job on the ST1100 and I don't expect it to be hard on the ST13 but it's still work that takes away from riding time! :biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Do a Valve Check NOW and often. This gives you a base of where the bike is now and if it starts wearing abnormally you can catch it quick...think of it like taking a blood test when you are healthy. Sets a Base Line that all future results are measured against.
I agree w/Mick, no need to do one 'til 16k..

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
My bike has over 70k on the clock. I follow the maintenance schedule, and have not had a SMC problem. The left side valves needed adjustment @ 48k, and the right side @ 64k. I've replaced the left headlight bulb numerous times (exact count is in my maintenance log), and the right side bulb once. I've also replaced the clutch switch, front brake switch, rear outside flange bearing.

My wife's ST1300 has ~ 10k miles, so it hasn't needed anything outside of periodic scheduled maintenance. I change the brake fluid and oil in her bike once a year even though mileage wise the oil doesn't really need it.

I am very happy with the ST1300 & wouldn't change my decision to purchase it if I had it to do all over again.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I've replaced the left headlight bulb numerous times
I replaced two, maybe three bulbs on my three ST1100's in 150k miles and 10 years. Each time it was while on a trip! There must be some law of the universe that says if you're going to have electrical problems of any sort (light bulbs, farkle wiring, etc), they are to happen away from home.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I am very happy with the ST1300 & wouldn't change my decision to purchase it if I had it to do all over again.
Well, I've already made up my mind to go ahead with the deal. I actually told the seller Sunday night I'd take it but wasn't sure I'd go through with it after reading the brake saga afterwards on Monday. Thanks to you and all of the others who have contributed to this thread, my concerns have been allayed. Nothing like a due diligence rush job! Now I have to overcome some scheduling conflicts to get it picked up.

The seller has the bike in the shop getting the "tune-up", battery install etc, done. The dealer is in a back log situation and may not be able to have it ready by this weekend. If he can't convince the dealer to get on the stick with it, it will be probably three weeks before I can pick it up (he lives in another town a pretty good ways from here).

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Well, I've already made up my mind to go ahead with the deal. I actually told the seller Sunday night I'd take it but wasn't sure I'd go through with it after reading the brake saga afterwards on Monday. Thanks to you and all of the others who have contributed to this thread, my concerns have been allayed. Nothing like a due diligence rush job! Now I have to overcome some scheduling conflicts to get it picked up.

The seller has the bike in the shop getting the "tune-up", battery install etc, done. The dealer is in a back log situation and may not be able to have it ready by this weekend. If he can't convince the dealer to get on the stick with it, it will be probably three weeks before I can pick it up (he lives in another town a pretty good ways from here).
Congrats on the ride...too bad it might be a while before you can get your hands on it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
......... Most of the time, an SMC failure won't leave you stranded because the locked up rear brake can be solved by simply applying the brake from the foot pedal. The SMC is activated only using the front brake handle to apply the brakes. Since the the front and rear are linked, using the foot brake until you get it back to a convenient repair location will keep the SMC from locking the brake again.
With the ST1300 this isn't accurate. Using the rear pedal alone activates the center piston in the front calipers as well as the rear caliper. The left front caliper's braking action will push against the fork leg and transfer pressure against the SMC.

Some have posted that a quick push of the brake pedal frees a sticky, faulty SMC. I have no working experience with this but perhaps that is what you meant to convey. However, use of the rear brake pedal when the bike is moving forward does activate the rear caliper through the SMC.

Bike
2007 ST1300

Mick,
I'll bet the ST would do quite well over on FM1488 and HWY 105. (Although I can tell you, Texas DPS Officers do not see the Humor in doing 127 mph down Hwy 105 in Conroe. Don't ask how I acquired that little nugget of information.) I grew up in Spring, and there are some really nice roads in that neck of the woods. If you make it this way, stop on by and I'll show you some pretty good MS roads.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Mick,
I'll bet the ST would do quite well over on FM1488 and HWY 105.

I've ridden all over that area. One of my standard Sunday rides is to have breakfast in Montgomery then head off through the forest to Richards/Anderson/Navasota (via 3090)/Independence/Round Top/Shelby/Fayetteville/New Ulm/Sealy/ etc. The San Jacinto forest road (149) is especially pleasant in the mornings before the sun starts baking the landscape.

(Although I can tell you, Texas DPS Officers do not see the Humor in doing 127 mph down Hwy 105 in Conroe. Don't ask how I acquired that little nugget of information.)

OUCH!

If you make it this way, stop on by and I'll show you some pretty good MS roads.
Will do Doc!

Top Bottom