OP
OP
angelog
Bike
2015 Honda Stateline
Got any specific questions yet?
Windshield problem with bike I am looking to buy. Checking on function so I know what to look for. Seems to be a long and expensive fix. This could be a deal breaker.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Windshield problem with bike I am looking to buy. Checking on function so I know what to look for. Seems to be a long and expensive fix. This could be a deal breaker.
Not a deal breaker but more of an annoyance. Replacing the gear & cables is time consuming but parts are available from a forum member making small batch of them. The rails are easy to lubricate. The OEM full assembly is very pricey and hard to find. Check the fuses just in case, if dead, that would indicate a blockage ever from the gear or the rails.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy from Birmingham, southern style.
Which year 1300 are you looking at?
The image popped in my head, of someone with a 2005, and no adjustable windshield... can't say why that happened.
But it did.

OP
OP
angelog
Bike
2015 Honda Stateline
Howdy from Birmingham, southern style.
Which year 1300 are you looking at?
The image popped in my head, of someone with a 2005, and no adjustable windshield... can't say why that happened.
But it did.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The full mechanism is over $400usd, but you can some times find them used. The parts are from Bikequip, look here. The labor will take you roughly a morning to take everything apart, clean it and put it together. For a first timer on this bike, say 6 hours to a day going slowly. It is not really that difficult. When you buy your ST, pick up a Honda Service Manual - it is the single best tool for the bike.

Since you are doing research.... Here is what you should do to your new bike.

Not trying to scare you away, but for pre '08 bikes, the ECU can die and replacements are a bit less common than hen's teeth. Honda stopped making them and there are no replacements besides a used one from a similar bike (i.e. up thru '07). You can also expect any bike that has not had TLC and regular maintenance (flushing the brake fluid every other year or more often) to need a new Secondary Master Cylinder. Do a search for that (top right this page, click on search and type in Secondary...)and read about it. There is also a great article (blue band atop this page - >Articles>1300>whatever titled article you wish - brakes or SMC, etc.

OP
OP
angelog
Bike
2015 Honda Stateline
Thanx everyone for all the help. At this point the dealer is fixing it for a safety check. Am waiting to hear back from him. I have watched the videos that were made available, so I know what to look for. Thanx again :bl13:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If your dealership fixes the windshield properly, keep him in your address book!
Just to worry you more, the bike is 19 years old and you have no real idea of the love 'n tenderness she got from the previous owner. Should you decide to take it home, ride it and keep this site in mind if something concerns you.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Nothing wrong with an '04, just may take a little more TLC than something newer! Give it a good once over so you know what you're getting for the price.
Welcome to the site; you'll find a lot of helpful information and people here.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I welcome you to the ST website from Washington too!
I own a 04 also and have put 122000 miles on it,
If I bought mine with this type of mileage I would really consider a fairing off tear down to check coolant hose age and do a more intense look at some of the components. The windshield mechanism is fairly easy to access.
With the hoses it isn't the mileage, its the age. The fluid changes with the brake and clutch are a must as well as the coolant.
The nice thing about the STs, they are indestructible.

OP
OP
angelog
Bike
2015 Honda Stateline
Been busy doing homework on bike. Saw the damage on the windshield drive gear...thinking it's not a hard fix. Will be picking bike up when the weather breaks and will work on it then. Also there's 68,300 kms (42,500 mi) on it, all 4 cyl's showed 190 psi. on compression test. Will be enjoying my bucket list bike. Will update on drive gear fix. I am a retired toolmaker (50 yrs) and from what I can see, the engineering on this mechanism is not up to Honda standards. They should have seen the potential for it to fail.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom