Newbies gone and broke it !!!!!

Hi All
Another gate crasher from across the pond

After being an idiot on various Ducati's new and old I got myself a PAn 1300. Now i dont need to tell you lot how good it is. One thing that convinced me is how our Police manage to husstle these things about!!!!

Anyway onto the issue: I've gone and broke it. Having bought second hand with 22,000 miles on it i was looking at the consumables and they were all a bit ropey. Got to the brakes and carefully changed all the pads and the fluid. Took it for a ride and all was well. Went away for two weeks and returned to a pool of fluid (dont know what sort at this time) on the right hand side of the front wheel rim. Looks too thick for brake fluid and the master cylinder front and back is at the same level as i left it.

Checking the manual seems that the delay valve is leaking ( thing above the right caliper) Did not go anywhere near that while i was messing

Any ideas as to what the fluid is and if there is a kit to fix or are we looking at a new one.

This is the first time i have tinkered with bikes so my confidence is shot at the moment.
Am used to the spanners as i am a medical imaging engineer by trade

Any suggestions????????? :confused: :confused:

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Fork oil? Wipe the oil with your finger and smell. Pull the wiper and check the seal. Warranty or replace the valve yourself. Fittings tight?
New valve is 80-90 USD Parts book doesn't show the valve innards, probably sealed. Some components do have parts available.
I'd ask a competent parts guy, if you can find such a thing.

Last edited:
Only just seen this post, but what was it ? I would guess you hadn't done the bleed valve up properly if you had changed the fluid. I can't think why anything else should have sprung a leak. :03biker:

OP
OP
Panic over, well mostly

Looking closely at the brake fluid level that did not drop one bit, I am thinking fork oil. Most of the oil is behind the delay valve.

Never realised how scared you can be when you think your brakes are messed up :D

Thanks for the replies

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If it's fork oil, make sure you get it sorted out soon. Your stopping distance will be increased a significant amount if the suspension is not working as designed.

Top Bottom