Newest ST1100 Rostra cruise-control questions

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm baaaaack! I finally bought a CC for the ST. So, it's time to make a few decisions, so I'd appreciate some advice.

First, about the throttle cable. Most DIYers screwed a straight bar across the throttle wheel, but I want something less permanent and easier to install and also to move to another bike in the future.

Has anyone used the MCCruise throttle interface? I believe the ST requires the dual spool unit. Is it easier to install than screwing a bar on, and am I correct that the installation is reversible?

Second,control switch options. Is an ST1300 left switch pod a direct fit, and can I use the windshield switch as a control? Or, the Trail Tech 8500-RS, or a Goldwing or a police right switch pod.

Third, any advice specific to the ST1100 that I should know? I don't need general advice, as I've already installed one on my '96 Nighthawk 750, just anything I should be warned about.

Lastly, in the past, someone mentioned magnets that fit in the rear bolt heads. Anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You can buy the MC cruise interface separately but the travel distance is set up for their cruise. I thought about it but went for the arm instead.
I use the GL1500 control. I shortened the harness, it’s pretty much plug and play, but did have to modify a wire. You also have to drill another location hole in the handlebar as the switch module is wider.
I used magnets from an old tank bag. I tried to use the coil feed as in the audiovox cruise but my unit wouldn’t respond to that signal.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Larry I'm not sure if you talked with the MC cruise people, but Tony was very helpful to me, I got a lot of information out of him with regards to the jumper throttle cable. That unit sure is slick! and ingenious!
Given that you have to take the tank out to do any work with regards to the throttle cable, it wasn't hard to go the step further to remove the carbs and drill and tap holes in the bell crank for the throttle arm. I do understand your logic and desire for the unit to be transferable. I had read someone did make their own throttle disk and jumper cable....so of course it can be done. time? cost?

I mounted the controls on the right side switch housing where there was a blank flat spot. As for the magnets, I used flat rare earth magnets and placed them next to the bolts on the rotor. They've been on there for years and I haven't lost any yet.

IMG_1843.JPG

Top Bottom