No more BMW envy for me

I traded bikes with a buddy at work today - he has a 2004 R1100RT. It is a nice bike, but not for me. If I were interested in spending all my time on the cement slab, it would be ok.* You sit bolt upright on a very comfortable seat, and although you could probably drag a knee with lots of practice, I do not think it would ever feel right.* The windshield is also sub-par: it is electrically adjustable, but even at its highest it did not stop the helmet noise - and at that height you have to look through it to see the road which I do not care for.* I am pretty certain his engine needs a tune up, but even so, it was no where near as powerful as my Honda ST, and certainly not as smooth or quiet. That said, to each his own, and I am sure it is a very good bike and fits certain people's concept of a perfect bike.

Having ?test? rode about a dozen bikes in the last couple of years, every time I get off one I end up thinking: it ain't as good as my ST. And even though I am constantly finding faults with my bike, nothing else even comes close. The fact that the ST should easily go 100,000 miles makes me happy as I reckon I gonna keep it at least that long.

JC

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What did your friend say about the ST? He probably was glad to have his BMW back.

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I rode a 09 1200 rt last week I liked it real well still waiting to ride my 1st ST tho

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Now go ride a K13R... or a K13Rs :D
Amen to that, bro-ham. The 13 calls me. It makes me start shaking uncontrollably when I get within 20 feet of one.

Unfortunately, the 22K entry price also makes me quiver.

Someday, though... someday. :burnout

Bike
BMW R1150RT
While I have nothing against the ST, I went with the 2004 BMW R1150RT. It just seemed to 'fit' me better than the ST. I don't mind setting upright, as I hurt my tail bone last year, and it never really healed up. Bad injury. Anyway, The ST seating position didn't fit me well. There wasn't a lot of difference, but it was enough for me. I like the ergos on the Beemer better, and the seat was the most comfortable that I sat on for that style of bike. My other bike is an old cruiser (1985 Honda Magna) that just kills me with that saddle seat back. The ST riding position reminds me more of the 2000 VFR I had. I miss that bike because it was loads of fun, but I couldn't ride it for distance. Too much forward lean for me, similar to the K1200/1300GT.

What I was looking for was a touring bike that didn't weigh almost 900 pounds like the Wing. The BMW was the bike I kept comparing everything else to, so I finally realized that I should just get one. I would have prefered a 1200RT, but those were a bit too much money for me.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I rode the R1200RT before the ST. It just wasn't for me. The engine needs to be rev'd to high for me. Drove the ST and my heart was won.

Tom

Bike
BMW R1150RT
I rode the R1200RT before the ST. It just wasn't for me. The engine needs to be rev'd to high for me. Drove the ST and my heart was won.

Tom
I had a hard time not getting the ST due to the V4 engine. My other recent bikes were both V4s', so I liked the powerband of that motor. But the boxer motor feels like it has more torque and the low and mid-range power is plenty for me. If it was just about the engine, I probably would have held out for the K1300GT, which is a monster. I also loved the new look on the K1300GT, especially in red! But for me the riding position and comfort trumped everything else. The RT just fit me right.

Maybe the ST is just too smooth? Great bikes, though.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Amen to that, bro-ham. The 13 calls me. It makes me start shaking uncontrollably when I get within 20 feet of one.

Someday, though... someday. :burnout

I'm feel the same way. I like the k13 - but that price! Now back when I was ST shopping, I had beemers on my list. Funny thing beemers in the used market can be had for cheap (i.e. from 17k to 9 or 10k ) after coupla years, and a significant drop even after a year.

The K13GT calls to me...

Bike
2005 ST1300
You CANT label a brand by riding an RT model that is 2 revisions ago...

No need to ENVY a brand if you love what you have..All brands can be appreciated for some of their models. Some more than others...I too lust after the K13S :)

FWIW, of all the bikes I have thrown a leg over, none of them have ever come close to how comfortable and fitting the 1150 RT was to me. (that includes the 12RT and the ST) That bike fit me like a glove.

I loved my 2003 st truly, but it was TBoned last year. I bought a brand new K1200GT without even a test ride. I put 29000 klm in 1 year. Not bad for a place where you can't ride from mid nov to march because of the winter with a big W. I exchanged bike from time to time with a friend who has a ST. I really like the "plush" ride, it cruises effortlessly, and from a personnal point of view, I would still have it if it wasn't for the accident. The KGT has some drawbacks as well. Expensive to buy and maintain, crappy seat for an expensive bike, wind management could be better, a bit of backlash in the drive train but you learn how to shift better, rear end reputation improved but time will tell how really good it is, no tip over protection. As for what is better, about 150 lbs less, 30 more hp, ESA that works, high speed stability, sharp handling, sounds like a race bike when you open the throttle and is quiet at speed. But as I( said before, I would still have my ST and be very happy if...

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
If you like the ride... get it :) Every bike has it's draw backs to an individual... get what you like... get what gives you a smile... get what fits you... get what you can afford... it's not rocket science! :cool:

Every bike has a flaw... does that flaw bother you? You need to decide what is important to you! :)

I think the competition is going to make for better bikes for us to choose from. :bow1:

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I traded bikes with a buddy at work today - he has a 2004 R1100RT.

About 8 or 9 years ago I rode a '96(?) RT. I loved that telelever front end!

:eek: This is what keeps me from test riding the new ones. Don't even want to flirt with toys in this price range.

Bike
06ST
STOC #
Rode BM'S for 25 years and if your gonna put alot of miles on the BM will put a dent in the pocket book to keep it running the way it should.The new BM'S are just not the same for me as the old airheads and early oilheads.THEY FELT LIKE A BMW.These new hexlheads are like an appliance.YOU WILL GET TO KNOW YOUR DEALER RIDING A NEW BMW.STAY WITH A JAPANESE MACHINE NO WORRIES NO MAINTAINCE AND ONE HELL OF A LOT LESS MONEY FOR A BIKE THAT DOES THE SAME darn thing.BETTER dealer network to.
A VERY HAPPY ST RIDER:bow1:

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I thought the bmw was supposed to be low maintenance and easy self maintenance like the St is this wrong

I thought the bmw was supposed to be low maintenance and easy self maintenance like the St is this wrong
I think the 'school of thought' is that BMW is higher maintenance cost, however, from talking first hand to BMW owners, I'm not so sure anymore that this is the case.

Bike
BMW R1150RT
Well, I've got upwards of 400 miles on my 'new' 04 1150RT, and I haven't had ANY mechanical or maintenance issues yet! Cool, eh? LOL!

I've already heard about the 6,000 mile maintenance interval for the Beemer, so I went into this with my eyes open. I know I may have a bit more maintenance with the BMW, but I've seen these bikes get hundreds of thousands of miles put on them with proper maintenance, much more so than other machines. And that is no offense to the other bikes. I've said before that I almost bought an ST, and that they were great bikes. I've always been a fan of the V4 engines and that great powerband. I bought what fit me and was the most comfortable for me. To each his own.

And I prefer to stay away from slamming other peoples choices in bikes, even Harleys. My best friend rides one, occasionally, once in a while, sometimes...well, ok, it's a garage queen. But he likes it. I kid him about it, but only in good fun, and he knows it.

Top Bottom