Noise Rear Tire

ST1300, 2003 38k.
Changed rear tire and brakes. Seemed fine. Went to change rear hypoid fluid tonight and noticed noise when turning tire forward. I really didn’t notice this before (maybe it did, not enough to catch my attention). Just a sqeeky rub sound in spots. I can’t figure out how to post video.
Thoughts and thanks!

Bike
2010 ST1300
With the bike on the center stand...did you spin the rear tire and does it spin for one to two revs before stopping? Reasons for problems after servicing the rear brakes are usually due to a slipped pad clip and pads that are not installed properly. Some guys have even installed the spacer improperly.

Other things that come to mind, did you clean the pistons carefully before pushing them into the calipers? Install the caliper bracket properly and tighten bolts in the proper order?

The above items are covered in the Honda Service Manual. And the threads below:

Overview of the system:

Bleeding the system:

OP
OP
ST1300, 2003 38k.
Changed rear tire and brakes. Seemed fine. Went to change rear hypoid fluid tonight and noticed noise when turning tire forward. I really didn’t notice this before (maybe it did, not enough to catch my attention). Just a sqeeky rub sound in spots. I can’t figure out how to post video.
Thoughts and thanks!
Oh boy. Spins 1/4 if that. The calipers looked clean. I’m guessing a good and easy start is to remove the pads and see how she spins. Right? Thank you a lot. I’m new at servicing my own bike.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Oh boy. Spins 1/4 if that. The calipers looked clean. I’m guessing a good and easy start is to remove the pads and see how she spins. Right? Thank you a lot. I’m new at servicing my own bike.
Before you remove anything, look at your pads from the caliper's back side. If they are not parallel, they have either slipped off the front keeper or they are sticking on the guide pins. Just two visual indications of where your problem may be.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Some really smart riders helping me on this thread. The pictures will let you see the common issues.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Post a video on YouTube, then post the link here.
Most likely something wrong with the brake pad replacement. Remove the caliper like you said and spin the tire. Probably spins fine. Then take another look at your pad and caliper install. Great articles to read on here.

OP
OP
Thank you all. Update. So when in changed the pads I did it in conjunction with the tire. So the only thing touched was the axel bolt and the hex that holds the pads in place. I didn’t clean the calipers. The pads look to be in place and don’t move. The only visible clue i see is that they appear to be aligned in the rear. Loosing the hex that holds the pads in place eliminates the sound. Still, the wheel only spins maybe one cycle around. The entire mechanism (sorry, for lack of better word) moves around just a little. Everything seems tight. It’s not squeaky as much now. Just a little. I’m thinking I’m safe to ride. Brakes feel fine. I’ve owned her since new in 2003. I did by after market pads so maybe they just need to wear down a little. Thanks again for all the support. I’ll die with this bike. I’ve never loved a piece of machinery like her.

Top Bottom