Noise reduction - my experience with Sony WF-C700N earbuds

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Since I’m bothered with far too much internal noise ( or is it voices…) in my head, I try to reduce the amount of noise coming through my ears, at least when I ride or out in public or with the in-laws.

Started out with the foambuds, then found the silicone was better and more comfy.

A few years back I tried the Bose QC20, and I found them far better than the silicone, and I got less tired when riding, downside was the occasional «pop» sound when the outside noiselevel was higher than the QC could handle.
I got used to the popping, and would not have replaced them if they did not die on me.

Read about the Sony wf-c700n in a audio/hifi magazine, best in test, most bang for buck etc….found them «on sale» $90.

Noise reduction compared to the QC20 is better, perhaps 20%, and NO popping.

Comfort or discomfort, just like the QC or the silicone buds.
I have Shubert flip-up helmet with the internal speakers removed, so there’s very little pressure on the buds/ears from the helmet.

Battery is supposed to last 7,5 hours with both music and noise cancelling on. Longest ride so far is 7 hours, and the battery was ok. They will charge rather quick in the box, when you have a break, there’s supposed to be 7,5 hours of energy in the box, so a total of perhaps 15 hours a day. Enough for me, but perhaps not for @Uncle Phil ?

There is a button on each bud, which is/ can be assigned to music on/off, volume, ambient sound, receiving calls, all by tapping on the appropiate bud…….you can’t do that with a helmet on…..so open the app and set the button funcions to »not assigned» both left and right.

The buds a very lightweight at 4,8 grams each.
Careful when removing helmet, as the buds falls very easily out of ears….and out of sight…pffft. Mine are black like the asphalt….buy some other colour.

Cleaning your ears (and buds) will make the buds sit much better. Put them in and then turn them counterclockwise a bit.
It comes with three different sizes of silicone tips.

Sound quality is very very good, and you can adjust it in the app.

You can connect them to two bluetooth devices simultaneously, I’ve not tried.

Now you know what I know!
Stu

Neat
IMG_2797.jpeg

Case with 7,5 hours worth of chargingIMG_2798.jpeg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Audio quality is worth pursuing but know that these and other noise cancelling devices offer little in the way of hearing protection.

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Audio quality is worth pursuing but know that these and other noise cancelling devices offer little in the way of hearing protection.
They will only help with the sound coming in through your ear canal. All sounds transferred through your scull, can’t be much dealt with, and that’s a lot of sound, coming from wind buffeting and traffic etc.

If Mrs Stu is shouting or yelling at me ( she don’t have many reasons to do that) and I put the buds in ( she will get angrier at this point ) the noise almost disappears. It’s not scientific, but to me it’s evident they do reduce noise.

»Your lips move, but I can’t hear what you say»
Pink Floyd

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They will only help with the sound coming in through your ear canal. All sounds transferred through your scull, can’t be much dealt with, and that’s a lot of sound, coming from wind buffeting and traffic etc.

Pink Floyd
The frequencies transmitted through bone conduction are not high frequency white noise that is most harmful to us.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

If Mrs Stu is shouting or yelling at me ( she don’t have many reasons to do that) and I put the buds in ( she will get angrier at this point ) the noise almost disappears. It’s not scientific, but to me it’s evident they do reduce noise.

Pink Floyd
Sounds like a perfectly decent subjective test!

How do you get these to stay in place while you put your helmet on? I have some earlier Sony noise cancelling earbuds and I have not even tried to wear these in my helmet.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Both the earbuds and case look kind of like my Anker A40 earbuds.

The noise canceling feature does a pretty good job of reducing wind noise such that I can listen to an audio book at freeway speeds at a not very high volume. I can put my helmets on when wearing them (Aria Signet or XD4) but they are painfully ripped out of my ears when removing the helmet. It's been a year or two since I went on a long enough moto ride to use them again but I might. Mostly now, I use them to listen to podcasts while mowing the lawn with a gas powered lawn mower. The noise canceling in that environment is very good. And the case gives 4 full charges though I've never come close to running both the case and earbuds down. The magnetic case also makes storing them correctly really easy.

If only they didn't hurt when removing the helmet. So the search continues

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Sounds like a perfectly decent subjective test!

How do you get these to stay in place while you put your helmet on? I have some earlier Sony noise cancelling earbuds and I have not even tried to wear these in my helmet.
My helmet is a flip-up, so I just pull simultaneous on each side to make it a wee bit wider as I put it on.
The same for removing it, but be careful now, the buds would like to dive into the abyss once they can.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I tried the noise cancelling earbuds, and some fairly good standard earbuds, but none cancelled noise as well as Plugfones earbuds. Once they are installed correctly, ( takes a while to learn how to do it properly) they provide serious noise protection. I just looked, and they do not provide an actual dB rating, but I'd have to guess it is 18 dB or so. They are easy to get a helmet on and off with. I've ridden just about all day with them in, and no problems. Here's a link:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just looked, and they do not provide an actual dB rating, but I'd have to guess it is 18 dB or so.
From the Plugfones website.
The entire Plugfones line is tested and compliant with ANSI S3.19-1974 noise reduction standards and meets NIOSH criteria. When used as directed, our products are certified for Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR) of 29 or 27 dB, depending on the plugs used.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I tried the noise cancelling earbuds, and some fairly good standard earbuds, but none cancelled noise as well as Plugfones earbuds. Once they are installed correctly, ( takes a while to learn how to do it properly) they provide serious noise protection. I just looked, and they do not provide an actual dB rating, but I'd have to guess it is 18 dB or so. They are easy to get a helmet on and off with. I've ridden just about all day with them in, and no problems. Here's a link:

You can wear those with the wires pointing straight out instead of a 90 degree bend down? Which helmet?

Bike
2006 ST1300
You can wear those with the wires pointing straight out instead of a 90 degree bend down? Which helmet?
I use the standard Plugfones, and yes, the wire comes out straight from the plug. I was worried about this at first, but it seems fine with all 3 helmets I use- a Shoei Neotec, Scorpion full face, and an HJC Rpha 90. When inserted properly, the yellow earbud part is pretty far inside the ear, and the wire is pointed downwards a bit.
Yes, eventually the wires do fail, i usually get about a year out of each pair before they fail, but I use them for other things besides riding-mowing, woodworking, anything that would hurt my hearing.
One other thing- my ears produce a lot of wax, and I sometimes clean them by squeezing them, and cleaning any debris out.
When mowing with a walk behind mower, I can JUST barely hear the mower running. Very pleasant.

Top Bottom