Noticeable Heat Change

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
While riding the past few times more especially tonight on the interstate Ive noticed the heat is stronger than I ever remember it. Just turned over 40k miles so I'm thinking its probably time to do valves and timing chain slack adjustment checks, spark plug checks and whatever else the service manual says for that mileage. I'm getting really low on fuel but I was determined to stop at a certain place to refill because I know they have 100% gas. Thinking back when I got fuel last, I purchased non ethanol but not super unleaded from a Valero gas station . It seems quite a few gas stations in my area of the world are ditching super unleaded and only offering regular with or without ethanol. After refueling with Phillips 66 super unleaded and getting back on the interstate I noticed immediately that the heat had dropped way back. Too good to be true but 20 miles later the heat was still noticeable less than it was and the bike seemed a little more responsive. So got me to thinking maybe some of the heat issues some of us have are poor fuel quality related. It would be interested to see if others on have the same finding as I did. I was watching some Ford Ecoboost engine videos on you tube ( because Im thinking about buying an f150 with the ecoboost engine because I hear the 2.7 engines are pretty solid little engines and well..) ANYWAYS.. one of the mechanics was saying that Shell and Chevron fuels are the best on the market. I duno how true that is but I'm planning on looking into it some more and my next fill up will be at the shell station.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Higher ethanol levels will increase exhaust gas temperature noticeably especially if the fuel injection calibration is not set for higher ethanol. Ethanol blended fuels require a richer mixture than lower or no-ethanol fuels so the mixture is too lean if the fuel injection is not calibrated for higher ethanol fuels. This will raise the EGT by a couple of hundred degrees or more. Luckily ethanol in the fuel reduces the chance of detonation so there is not the danger of engine damage. The Oxygen sensor readings to the ECU show correct mixture but it is too lean for ethanol.

Dan

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
On my bike, the fuel gets super hot, also the frame, and everything too hot to touch. Sometimes the engine starts cutting out due to vapor in the fuel rails (i think). When I fuel up, the temperature goes way down, just because the fresh fuel is cool. I'm hoping that the valve sync will fix the heat issue, just waiting for the right moment to get it done....

OP
OP
RocketPsyantist
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
So I had this issue come up again. This time I got a tank of Super from the Loves store here in town. They are a popular chain of convenience stores and truck stops here in Oklahoma. This location advertises 100% gas. After that tank was out I refueled with Phillips 66 Super but with 10% eth. Heat was noticeably reduced after getting back on the interstate traveling in the same direction and speed. Just sayin.

Top Bottom