Oct. ride on the DR650

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
So today the weather was a perfect Colorado day and I had the urge to go ride. Decided to take the new to me DR650 out for some light weight dirt riding, as I don't have a bash plated mounted yet. Rode Rampart road from Sedalia to Woodland Park. All Dirt. The return was going to be a High speed pavement run from Woodland park to Deckers and then along the South Platte river and then up and over the mountain to Sedalia, on to Castle Rock and home. Well I made it almost to Deckers and then the ride came to an end.

Saw some beautiful colors today as the Aspen and the Hard Woods Trees were at the peak of there color change for the season. The DR did great with the washboard on the dirt roads. Light and powerful. Faster than the KLR, but easier to slide the rear end out on the gravel. Not something I am comfortable with doing a lot. On the single track/atv trails the DR650 was easy to maneuver between the trees and hoop- de -hoops. Again felt a lot easier then my old KLR.

On the pavement a bit less wind protection than the KLR but seemed to have more get up and go. Felt a bit light in the twisties and not quite as planted as the KLR. Might be the Kinda tires that are on the bike.

All went well until I was almost to the Deckers Country Store. Suddenly the handling got worse and the back end seemed very squarely. I pulled over and stopped and found the rear tire was flat on the bottom. No matter how far I rolled the wheel the tire always stay flat on the bottom. Of course there was no cell coverage there. Got to ride b*t*h on a Harley to the country store. Luckily it was only 2 miles. Called a neighborhood friend of mine and he came with a trailer and rescued me. Took about three hours to come and get me home with the bike. All is well that ends well. Will pull the wheel this week and get a heavy duty tube put in the tire. Also will buy me some tire Irons and a spare tube to have when I ride off to the Boonies.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like fun.. they do sell the kits that turn the tires into tubeless tires, sorta, using a smaller inner-tube to cover the spoke holes and seal it up good. A friend of mine has them and prefers them as it's an easy tubless repair vs the hassle of a tube repair.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah... I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes...

Top Bottom