Oh no... I dropped it.

The day was nice here today. Sunny, around 72 F, 21 C.
One of the last ride of the fall, before the long hibernation of the bike.
Nice country roads, with workers in the field.
Every few miles, I stop, take the phone out of my pocket, take a nice picture, and keep on going.

At one point, immigrants workers were harvesting cabbages.
I stopped on the side of the road, to have a better look.
Hum, there was not much shoulder on the side of the road at this place.

A bit like this kind of shoulder. The one at the base of the picture.
The top of the grass is even and level, but the soil is not.
20200916_180845B.jpg

You have the asphalt of the road, then maybe two foot wide of sand and grass, but (contrarly to this picture) not at the same level than the road : it was in a light slope tilting toward the deeper ditch (12 feet).
So I stayed on the asphalt, just at the limit of it. Put my two foot on the ground. Had a look. Took a picture...

And then it happend.

While I was trying to put my phone back in the lower right pocket of my jacket, I leaned my upper body on the left side, to stretch the right side of my jacket.
I put my phone in the pocket, and then, as I had leaned to the left, the bike was lightly pushed on the right side.
It was a slow movement. It happend in three seconds.
From its normal position, the bike started to tilt toward the right side. I let it go a bit at first, being busy with the phone.
And when I realised the bike was going a bit too far, and that it was time to grab and hold it, my right foot slipped just a few inches on the sand.... and was now maybe 4 inches lower than the other foot.
It was too late.
Couldn't believed it was happening.
All I could do, was trying to minimize the damage.
I hold it the best that I could, and hoped for no damage at all.

The fuel cutoff valve worked as it should. The engine stopped running the moment the bike was on the side.
Geee... due to the fact that the soil was soft, and tilting toward a ditch, my ST was on his side, horizontal, flat to the ground, zero degree with the horizon.

To put it back up, I tried what they teached us during my course.
Turn your back to the bike, sit to have your lower back toward the seat, hold the handle and the back of the seat, and push with your legs.
No way. It doesn't worked.
So, i face the bike, took the throttle handle, and grabbed the guard behind the seat. And... up on his wheels it was.
I had put the sidestand down before, so I let it go a bit on the other side, until the sidestand touch the ground.
Only then, I realised someone had stopped his car to help me. I waved my hand at him, to thank him and show him all was allright.

After I catched up my breath.... I realised I had some damage.
The right tip over plastic guard was cracked.
20200916_224433.jpg

And I later discovered that my right miror cover was also cracked.
20200916_224639.jpg

That's a pity, because that tweny years old bike had both guard cover intact, before this.

Oh well...
I guess I broke the ice... And I am now a member of the club.

Oh yeah. Something else. Should I try to start the bike now ?
I waited maybe two minutes before doing so.
It started instantly, as I touched the button.
The sound of the engine was as smooth as before.
I didn't saw a drop of liquid anywhere. Not even a gas spill.
Sorry to read about your mishap. Damage could have been far worse.
Having tried re-spraying, I would now leave it to the experts now because, as John Heath says, the shades of old and new paint differ.
With the camber on most UK roads, it worries me stopping with the side stand down because even on a flat surface the angle of incline seems steep and far greater than my old GL1500.
I appreciate the subject of tip-over point has been covered before on this forum - guess sometime I'll measure the standard angle on the side stand and the maximum angle when the peg would touch the road on a flat surface - the old Pythagoras' Theorem!

Paul

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Just for your info , the tip over sensor killed the engine.
To add to that, the fuel cutoff valve is designed to stop fuel flow if the engine quits and electrical power is still on, not to shut off the engine. This keeps the fuel pump from pumping fuel to a non-running engine, i.e. in a tip over after the tip over sensor shuts it off. The engine must quit first before the fuel valve is activated (closed) because it's held open with vacuum from the intake.
Ah ! So, in a tip over situation (for ST1100), there is a tip over sensor that kill the engine, and then, the fuel cut off valve turn off the electric fuel pump, to prevend sending fuel to a non runing engine.

That is well designed. And now I know that they both work as they should on my bike.

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
@Erdoc48 and @jfheath.

When I took the 2 pictures, to show the damage on my mirror cover and my crash guard cover, I put a light pressure on the parts, to show where it was cracked.
For the miror cover, on the picture taken in night time, some dirt left on my cover, showed like scratch.

But finally, next day, I looked again, in broad daylight, and I don't think I will need to replace or repaint any parts.
I will probably simply put some glue from the inside of the mirror cover and the crash guard cover.

See, the crack is now barely visible.

20200919_135757.jpg

I still have some short scratch on the guard cover.... but I can live whit that.

20200919_135829.jpg

Anyway. Thanks for your good advices, and good job on the paint John.

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
They go over fast, don't they? I dropped mine in the garage just trying to move it around. Sidestand got retracted just a bit and I didn't notice, and down she went.
Yep, and lesson learned.

I have been thinking again and again at how it could have happend. Just in case I could remember some more details and learn something else.
And I think the one mistake I made, while standing with two foot on the ground, is that at one point, I put all my weight on my left leg, while also bending my upper body a bit on the left side, just for, maybe 3 second, time to strech my jacket right side pocket and put my phone in the pocket.
And during those very few seconds, my right foot had leave the ground... an inch or so above it.
So, if that right foot had been left on the ground, there is no way the bike could had go that far.
When I tried to hold the bike, before it went to far on the right side... I needed to have my right foot on the ground, and stand on that foot.
This is when my foot slipped... just a few inches... and it was tool late.

So next time.... always to foot on the ground when standing over the bike.
The moment you have your body weight, only on one leg, your bike can easily fall on the other side.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The moment you have your body weight, only on one leg, your bike can easily fall on the other side.
I often hear we're supposed to keep only one foot down at stoplights, etc. Well, I can't comfortably do that; I wiggle and strain.

Even with the new, higher RDL seat, I'm tall enough that I can put both feet flat on the road when I stop, so I do.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Leave that crash cover on and buy a new pair for $20 each and install when you need to be styling and profiling.......:eek::D:cool::rofl1:.
you will need them...trust me!. T

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Maybe the heatgun could help too...
Salut Christian:

A heat gun will help - in fact, you will probably be able to "erase" visible damage to the tip-over guard with a heat gun.

The trick is to be very judicious, very cautious when you are using the heat gun. You want to heat the outside surface of the tip-over guard just enough to to cause a TINY bit of melting to occur only on the surface of the guard, where the scuffs are. This won't remove the deformations, but it will cause the deformations to revert to the same colour - the same visual appearance - as the rest of the tip-over guard. Once that happens, the deformations will be invisible unless you get really, really close to the part.

I suggest you remove the tip-over guard from the motorcycle (it's only held in place with one screw, I think), and practice with the heat gun on the bottom side of the tip-over guard. That way, if you make a mistake, it won't be visible. Once you get the technique figured out, you can then move to working on the visible scuffs.

Michael

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Oh no no no, @Obo . It is not mine.
I'm so in love with this bike. Not for Sale.
Nope. Not mine.

Unless... No, my wife woudn't do that.
Ok, the coincidences are huge though...

A red ST1100, with a cracked mirror, for sale in the Montreal area, by someone named Christian with scenic photos just after you posted the ones about your trip.

1600945564901.png1600945577108.png1600945585659.png1600945593976.png1600945602866.png

Well, if it's not yours I know where you can get a parts bike for $1500-ish.

Bike
ST 1100 s
same bike , same colour , standstill on gravel , slo mo lay down , could not lift without help , oh well , drop the pan club gets a another member lol

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Christian's bike fell on the right side, the bike in the ad has a cracked left mirror cover. Odd coincidence though.

Top Bottom