Oil leak

Bike
2007 ST1300
I'm doing the water pump on my 07 ST. Before taking the front cover off I noticed oil coming down between water pump cover and front cover. After removing water pump cover I could see where oil had been tracking down from a breather hole that appears to go up under the fuel tank. Has anyone had this happen and does anyone know if it is hard to get into this area.Thank you.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
if u could post some pics of the area that would help,
sounds like u would need to pull tank and air box to see the area but u still have throttle body's and coolant lines that might block u from seeing where it is coming from. but most time when u have a leak from items in that area, it comes from the side of the motor by the water pump the square opening.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are you sure it's oil and not coolant that attracted road grime and turned black and oily-looking? Oil leaks are very rare but coolant leaks are common and look like oil leaks but there will not be drips of oil, just dirty oily looking areas on the outside of the front and right front side of the engine.

It's very common for coolant seeps and leaks in the coolant system hoses in the vee between the cylinder heads to appear as oil on the front and right front side of the engine. The natural path for the coolant is too run down in a trough between the front cover and the water pump cover. It exits out of a square hole next to a tiny round water pump weep hole.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is an oil plug up in valley that has been know to leak (front of the valley...can't remember too much about it, it's been awhile since it was talked about.) . You also have the oil presure switch and the alternator where oil could leak from.

The only way to really find it would be to start with the air box and keep pulling parts until you can nail it down.

Good luck.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
If it is oil, also check to make sure it's not originating around the top of one of the Valve covers. It's possible the rubber heat blanket has been pinched during re-assembly after a valve check, or the gasket is leaking. A leak in that location would leak into the top 'vee' portion of the engine and eventually make it's way out via the path you describe.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
image.jpgimage.jpgIt oil for sure. The punch shows where it comes out the front cover. The other pictures shows where when you shine a light up there you can see the back of the alternator . Looking from the top it looks like there is some wet areas but hard to tell because of all the lines and hoses.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
image.jpgimage.jpgIt oil for sure. The punch shows where it comes out the front cover. The other pictures shows where when you shine a light up there you can see the back of the alternator . Looking from the top it looks like there is some wet areas but hard to tell because of all the lines and hoses.
I figured out the pics are rotated upside down. The alternator is mounted externally on the top of the engine driven off a set of gears so it would not be in view behind the water pump cover. The punch is indicating a tapped hole for one of the water pump cover bolts. Is that tapped bolt hole got a bottom or is it open to the crankcase? Otherwise there would not be oil coming out of that hole.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
When you look up that hole you can see the back of the alternator, but the angle of the hole doesn't let you see the base of the v of the engine. That bolt hole is beside that oval shaped vent hole.
Sorry about the pictures but I'm not great with this new technology, it took me about an hour just to get the pictures in there.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Oil leak in v area.

I have read some where in these forums that there is a mystery plug in there somewhere . Has anyone else seen this forum. I am down to the throttle body but cannot see any plug. Does anyone know if this plug can be accessed any other way besides removing the throttle body. Any information is appreciated. The throttle body removal looks a little scary.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Oil leak in v area.

I have read some where in these forums that there is a mystery plug in there somewhere . Has anyone else seen this forum. I am down to the throttle body but cannot see any plug. Does anyone know if this plug can be accessed any other way besides removing the throttle body. Any information is appreciated. The throttle body removal looks a little scary.
It is a plug threaded into a hole located between cylinders 1 & 3. It's located almost directly between the two hose fittings on the cylinder heads and directly in front of the space occupied by the alternator. It has a recessed hex or square to receive the tool you will use to remove it. In this picture it is the round dark object almost exactly in the center of the image.

Note the "oil" that was on top of this engine. What appeared to be oil was what happens to radiator coolant exposed to heat and road grime. It turns black. It was found in the flat of the Vee and down the front and right side of the engine appearing as an oil leak. It is actually in the hex of the galley plug reflecting light from the camera flash. Fixing the coolant leaks fixed the problem.

The throttle body removal isn't that hard. It looks worse than it is.

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Oil leak in v area.

I pulled out a throttlebody for the first time last week, I removed the bolts from the braces between the sides of the two Throttlebody parts. That way I was only fighting one side (2 VS 4) at a time.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Coolant and oil leak

I would like to thank all who contributed to my post on coolant and oil leak. The coolant leak was from the bleed hole in the water pump. I stripped the bike back to and including the alternator . The oil ring on the alternator seemed to have a bit of a flat area on it. Otherwise I didn't see anything else. Re sealed the oil sending unit. Replaced the clamps on the coolant lines (Thanks to all who suggested it).
Have only been able to ride it for a short distance 25K's. Been raining. Nothing yet!
thanks to all again.
Andy

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Well I took the bike for a bit of a ride and low and behold the oil leak is back but no coolant leak. Borrowed a friends optical camera and can see where the mystery plug is leaking into the valley. Going to pull it apart this afternoon and check the plug.
Does anyone know what to seal this with. Thread seal or Teflon tape.
Should have done it when I was in there the first time.
Thank you for any information you have about this plug.
Andy

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I've merged all of the threads on this problem into one so it's all in one place.

--Mark

Top Bottom