Oil leak

Hi all I brought a s t thirteen hundred honda on a 10 plate, I have got a oil Leak From the cover that covers over the reed valve on the left hand side, the valve clearances Was checked before I got the bike.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Take a look at the rubber mat under the throttle bodies where it comes out on both sides as it is easy to get it caught in the valve cover when replacing them.

This will cause an oil leak. All you will need to do is loosen the cover and remove the rubber sticking under the back of the valve cover.

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Easy fix. Remove reed valve as they do not belong on a 1300....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If the oil leak started after the valve check it's possible the valve cover gasket was not installed correctly or something got pinched in between, there's a thin cover that sometimes gets caught in the gasket towards the inside of the engine towards the throttle bodies... some pictures might help.

OP
OP
If the oil leak started after the valve check it's possible the valve cover gasket was not installed correctly or something got pinched in between, there's a thin cover that sometimes gets caught in the gasket towards the inside of the engine towards the throttle bodies... some pictures might help.
I will get some photos

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
B1040 ST1300 20009-03-07 Service Ready for cam cover removal.JPG

If you think the oil is coming from underneath the pair valve, your probably just missing the O-ring on the Oil Filler Cap.
They tend to fall off and folks don't see it.
This would explain why there is oil around your pair valve assembly.
As you can see in the picture above, even if the skirt was pinched, there is very little chance oil would be up near the pair sensor unit.....
Unless the filler cap O-ring was missing :rofl1:
:WCP1:

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Of course the oil filler cap and its O-ring on on the right valve cover, not the left.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Of course the oil filler cap and its O-ring on on the right valve cover, not the left.
I missed that…..must be the lack of oxygen to my brain fighting this damn Covid a second time.
In that case, refer to my picture of the pinched Mat and cut me some slack or I’ll lick a get well card and mail it to you :rofl1:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I missed that…..must be the lack of oxygen to my brain fighting this damn Covid a second time.
In that case, refer to my picture of the pinched Mat and cut me some slack or I’ll lick a get well card and mail it to you :rofl1:
Eh, won't hurt me! My wife is recovering from the 'Rona herself. And I'd kiss her!

Slack cut, folded and neatly placed in the drawer my friend. :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The description and picture indicate the described leak is from the left Pair Valve Cover (reed valve cover) that bolts to the top of the valve cover. The service manual doesn't show a gasket separate from the cover....... which is Honda part #12331-MCS-000 which sells for about $14 USD.

Of course we checked that the hose is in good shape and firmly fitted to the hose fitting on the reed valve cover?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Another though….
I’ve seen several folks jam the cylinder head bolts in crooked, between the threaded tower and hole.
This causes the cylinder head crush washers to leak, and they are also directional, and are even marked this side up.
Maybe whoever checked your valves screwed this up also?

OP
OP
The description and picture indicate the described leak is from the left Pair Valve Cover (reed valve cover) that bolts to the top of the valve cover. The service manual doesn't show a gasket separate from the cover....... which is Honda part #12331-MCS-000 which sells for about $14 USD.

Of course we checked that the hose is in good shape and firmly fitted to the hose fitting on the reed valve cover?
I didn't think there was a gasket between the pair valve cover and valve cover I have taken the pair valve off and there's no gasket

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't think there was a gasket between the pair valve cover and valve cover I have taken the pair valve off and there's no gasket
Yes, I mentioned that. If there is a sealing surface (gasket) it is integral to the cover and not a separate gasket. It is normal to have some oily blowby in the hose and in the pair valve cover but not excessive amounts that cannot be sucked up into the air box. How much oil is in the air box?

Top Bottom