OK, so I let it sit for a couple months....

Bike
'95 ST1100
and, of course, you know what happened - now it won't start!

1995 ST1100. Ran fine while I was using it earlier this year. Always started. Then I let it sit - didn't start it - my bad. Is there a simple way to rectify this situation?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to sell it. As you may remember, I bought it in Illinois to help out a classmate and his wife. He had had a stroke. I bought it in March (or April) and rode it home to Ohio. A month later he died.

The wife and I have put less than 600 miles on it. There's two new tires on it, and I've done a lot of maintenance to it. I need to sell it. It's too much for me at 72.

Thanks for listening. I'll post pics later in the for sale section, but I need to get it started.

John

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If it sat long enough for the gas to go bad and gunk up the carbs.... try the product called "Start you engines" or "Start my engine". Comes in a small bottle. From what I can remember, you add it to the gas, turn the engine over a few times to allow the chemical to get to the carbs, let it sit and it desolves the gunk... I have had personal testimony from someone I trust. It works.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Without anymore info, I'm guessing you're referring to a dead battery. In that case, you could jump it, but being the battery has been dead for awhile, it won't hold a charge, so you need a new battery.

OP
OP
Grunder
Bike
'95 ST1100
No, I'm sorry, I didn't explain very well - the battery cranks her like there's no tomorrow - she's just not firing - nothing.
I've tried with and without the choke. I've tried with and without the throttle. I've tried combos of both. She doesn't fire. It's like you pulled a coil wire out of the center of a cap.

Nothing has changed since the last time I rode / started it, about two months ago. It's about 3/4 full of good, non ethanol gas (that's what we have here in the boonies, and that's a good thing). I'll look into the "Start My Engine" process first. I also think it's a fouled up carb(s). IIRC, before i purchased it back then, because the PO hadn't ridden it for some time, that the bike had to be "cleaned out" by the local Illinois MC shop for the same problem.

I don't understand why this would happen to a bike (or this bike). I would think you could let it sit for six months, like a car, and it should start. But what do I know.

Thanks for your help - I'll get it fixed somehow. I just would like it to go to someone who can enjoy it.

John

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would start with draining the gas in the bike and put fresh gas in. That would be the simple and cheapest thing to try. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Also, the plugs probably need to be taken out and cleaned. Most likely they have been flooded and are now wet.

Bike
2006 ST1300
If its gunked up like many cars I've worked on (sat for a while at auto auctions and dealers with old gas) my procedure was drain & clean the tank; unhook the fuel line at the engine and clean out from tank to engine; then clean the carbs (for me its clean fuel rails and injectors). Pull & clean plugs, put in fresh gas, and they usually start right up.

If the gas is only a few months old, you might get away with draining the carbs, blowing out the fuel lines, drain tank, and refill with fresh gas.

Is gas flowing to the carbs? the 1100 has a vacuum shutoff that could be stuck.

Or it may not be gas related at all.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Couple other things:
"Run" switch on right handlebar (we've all had that "DOH!" moment!)
Kickstand switch.
Fuel pump running??

If she's cranking over, pull out a plug and check for fuel and spark.

Pull the false tank and check the air cleaner; maybe some mices moved in and clogged it up.

Top Bottom