OP
jdaniels

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
Yes indeed.It's almost as if they were directing the numbers directly at yours truely!I've had many "close call" type incidents in the last few years.:(

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
That article is kinda misleading... so the engine size has increased. What is the average sized Vtwin engine :rolleyes: How many HP does it put out :rolleyes: We know most Baby Boomers have been buying those.

The inexperienced riders, more people on the road than ever, more traffic than ever makes a bad mix.

OP
OP
jdaniels

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
One factor I've noticed where I live (fla) is that many of the beginning riders are older guys who have never been on a bike till in their late 50's.I believe younger guys can ride better than older ones.I'm not saying they always do ride better,but that they can.A younger guy has better reflexes and less pain and infirmities to deal with.I also think an older guy will exibit more self confidence because of his years.This abundant self confidence may be misplaced in a newly minted motorcycle rider.

Bike
'05 ST 1300
Quoted from the report...the engines aren't that big, and the ages aren't that old. Alcohol impairment continues to be a high percentage of fatalities as does crashes on non-divided rural roads, with the motorcycle colliding with a fixed-object off the roadway..ouch.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/motorcycle03/recent.htm

"Another recent trend indicates that the engine size of the majority of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes has been increasing, as well. The mean engine displacement of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes has increased from an average engine size of 769 cc in 1990 to 959 cc in 2001, an increase of 24.7 percent.

Further, the mean age of motorcyclists� fatalities has also increased from 29.3 years in 1990 to 36.3 years in 2001. The analysis also indicates a corresponding rise in the average age of motorcyclists killed and greater involvement of motorcycles with larger engines in fatal crashes."

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Dang it all!! My ears and nose is already getting bigger and most of my hair has relocated to those places. Now my engine is getting bigger!!

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Dang it all!! My ears and nose is already getting bigger and most of my hair has relocated to those places. Now my engine is getting bigger!!
Coop, Coop,Coop...
After you rub the Rogain on your head, wash your hands before you pick your nose or scratch your ear... That's what I found out....

Putt...

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
IMO, engine size and/or age is not as much a factor as the nut between the handlebars. I've often heard of certain models of the Harley referred to as T to T bikes, tavern to tavern.

Come on! They will let us lizards behind the wheel of a motor home with no type of testing/training. Why should they even look at or say anything about motorcycles?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The numbers listed are meaningless without the total number of people riding motorcycles being listed as well. It'd also be interesting to see the numbers broken out by genre (Sport, Touring, Cruiser, etc.) along with a breakdown of what caused each accident (Alcohol, speed, illegal lane changing, etc.).

Bike
ST1300 Sept2008
There are old riders. There are bold riders. There are rarely old bold riders.

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
I got older and my engine got smaller. I traded 1800cc for 1300 so their report is all wrong.:bsflag:;)

Top Bottom