onherbike

A long time ago, I watched 2-3-4 of her videos.

I don't remember what it was that didn't impress me about the videos, so decided not to follow.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Could always ride round Australia with Roz......... Mad as a hatter.....
Interesting, but as a part-time video producer I can't help but compare to Noraly's.
No external mic it seems, Roz can only be heard at low speeds.
Sometimes she pans the camera too quickly, making a promising scene a merely dizzying blur.
A few of her stops would have been enhanced by some selective drone shots from up high.
Aye, crikey, ain't it easy to criticize?
And there she is riding and travelling and filming, while I sit on my butt and watch, pointing out all the little flaws in her presentation.
Well done, girl.
Some people make things happen.
Some people watch things happen.
Some people ask, "what just happened?"

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I've watched On Her Bike on and off in the past. Started watching more when she was posting her Nova Scotia and Newfoundland videos. Turns out we almost crossed paths this summer. I do know some of the peoplr who met her here. Certainly a whole different appoach to Norally but I enjoy her content as well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Whenever I see a bike fording a river, I wonder about the wheel bearings. Unless you cannot avoid something like that river, riding in water on a round the world trip seems to be sticking your tongue out at repair problems.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I always figured that rain blasting in at the bearings at 80 MPH has to be just as bad and they seem to survive.
The water is not under any pressure, so I think that if water gets in the seals were are their way out anyway.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And there she is riding and travelling and filming, while I sit on my butt and watch, pointing out all the little flaws in her presentation.
Casual observations made without malice do no harm. In my lexicon critiquing is not the same as criticizing and the former can save others time in viewing. I see no harm nor foul. Party on!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I always figured that rain blasting in at the bearings at 80 MPH has to be just as bad and they seem to survive.
The water is not under any pressure, so I think that if water gets in the seals were are their way out anyway.
Absent any real testing this is all speculation. However, rain blasting at 80 mph is a drop here and there. Riding with the bearings submerged has to be a higher exposure to water. If for no other reason than any water getting into the hub will have to drain out.

Are bearing seals designed to keep water out of the bearings? At what pressure? Are there different seals for different immersion depths?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Are bearing seals designed to keep water out of the bearings?
I certainly hope so.
Any sealed bearing that is lubricated with grease that water is getting in to is not going to last long.

In my personal experience, every front wheel bearing that I have ever replaced on any of my motorcycles always had a worn/damaged seal that was allowing water ingress.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'll add to my post above. Trailers used to carry and launch boats from ramps are designed for submersion, and typically do not go deeper than a couple of feet. These trailers usually have a pressurized hub that you pack with grease via a grease gun. Even so, they have failures. Riding a bike through the occasional rain storm is one thing, but fording a river is another thing.

Top Bottom