Ooooooohhhhhh.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
It will take forever for ignorant motorists to understand and accept, but I'm all for it throughout the country. I expect for Arizona riders, that once it's legal somewhere, it will start being used everywhere. "Why am I siting in stopped traffic on the freeway when it's legal to lane split elsewhere?"

I'm a strong advocate of stop-light filtering and do it on occasion here in Minnesota. I find that people hate that you "jumped the line" by "not waiting your turn" despite the fact that you leaving at the light change with much higher acceleration than everyone else does absolutely nothing to the rest of the traffic. Nobody else is held up any longer or gets to their destination even a second later because of what you get to do but logic doesn't figure into the emotional "hey, why does he get to do something I don't get to do?!?"

I notice I always get angry honks when I stop-light filter on a pleasant warm and sunny day.
I notice I never get honks when I stop-light filter on sub-zero days during winter commutes. I figure there's a sympathy factor when it is cold enough.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Locally, atrocious drivers all seem to notice me and temporarily turn off their bs driving styles for until we pass. I'm encountering fewer cases of intentional endangerment than I experienced in the 1960's/70's.
Hope that continues.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
So it's only for filtering to the head of a stopped line of traffic and at no more than 15 mph. What happens if you don't make it to the front before the light changes?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm a strong advocate of stop-light filtering and do it on occasion here in Minnesota. I find that people hate that you "jumped the line" by "not waiting your turn" despite the fact that you leaving at the light change with much higher acceleration than everyone else does absolutely nothing to the rest of the traffic.
Likewise. 99% of my lane splitting is filtering at stoplights. I don't do much on the freeway as traffic is seldom truly slow for me and I'm seldom in that much of a hurry.

I've rarely had any interaction with a car/truck driver while filtering to a stoplight. I do make it a point to move out briskly so that I haven't delayed anyone in the slightest.

It's been years since somebody has tried to hem me in while lane-splitting. It's long been a practice in CA so that usually works to a rider's advantage. Still it's no guarantee someone won't change lanes without looking.

Bike
St1300PA
Well I live in New Jersey and last time I checked the only legal thing to do is pay taxes.

Top Bottom