Pain in the Behind mechanical seal and coolant leaks.

My First time. Doing this job.

I just finished the R/R of a leaking mechanical seal on my 2006 ST1300 with 107,000 miles. I'm 3rd owner and the bike runs great except for oil from small weep hole (Mechanical seal) and coolant from the square hole (T-stat hoses and clamps). I learned a lot from this thread and YouTube about pulling the front crank case cover to do the work myself and save around $500.00 (dealer quoted $700.00). I paid $200.00 total for parts and to have the dealer press fit the seal, new water pump bearing and shaft/impeller.

My experience with this MC has taught me to hope for the best, but be prepared for the unexpected effects of 100,000 plus miles on a motorcycle. With a great reputation for being a pain in the behind at getting to areas for a simple part like a mechanical seal or a leaking coolant hose/clamp. The bike had been obviously passed over on some routine maintenance that might have avoided the mess I encountered.

Taking the bike apart (Tupperware, radiator, front crank case) went smooth enough without any major mishaps. None of the 22 8mm flange bolts were frozen by time and neglect. I even managed to pull the front crank case cover without having the water pump sprocket and chain fall into the bottom of the Crank case ( by sticking a small angled pry bar into the gap to hold the sprocket in place at the same time gently and evenly removing the CC cover).

I managed to scrape the old gasket off without damaging the milled surfaces of both the crank case and cover ( I used goofoff and a razor blade scrapper. Plus time and patience. The dealer's mechanic said used WD40 next time. It soaks into the old gasket and softens it).

I was able to gain access to the T-stat area from the front and above and cleaned some pretty bad crusting on the housing. I inspect the area for green stains to see which hoses needed attention. I thought I did a thorough job at that and preceded to put the pieces back together.

I was proud of what I had done since this was my first major job on this bike (Still doesn't compare to my time as a hydraulic mechanic on a CH53D helicopter in the US Marine Corps, HMH-461 Iron Horse Sqraudron. 3000 miles of hydraulic lines on that bird).

I did my final inspection and started the bike and didn't see any leaks from old roundy (weep hole) or square pants (coolant drain hole from V). I took it for a short ride (without Tupperware) then parked it using it's side stand.

I got off the bike and I got the first lesson in being the proud owner of this leak monster we all love. That the bike will leak unless you say a prayer after completing the job.

I stood there next to bike and watch the green stuff oozing from the square hole. It made a small ( kinda small) puddle on the asphalt. I put the bike on it center stand and restarted the bike and let it get warm enough for the fans to kick on. The leak seemed to stop. I wiped away any excess and still no leaking. I said maybe some residual coolant from the V at the top of engine. I felt confident that the leaking was just leftover stuff like the lint you find in your belly button sometimes. So what do you think I did next? I did the only common sense thing any trusting and proud ST1300 owner would do. I installed the Tupperware and cleaned the bike a little.

I let the bike rest for a day like a surgeon would do after completing a vasectomy ( there's always a little residual after that surgery too).

The next morning I started the bike and got ready for a ride and there it was again. The green goo in puddle formation laughing at me. I actually saw a smiling mouth glistening off the puddle.

I threw my hands up and counted to 10 before doing anything drastic.

So my solution is to post a YouTube video as soon as possible to help other aspiring surgeons in doing this lovely procedure.

I also order a endoscopic camera from Amazon before taking anything apart. I always wanted one for looking into small crevasses but thought they cost to much. I figured I could fool this evil ST1300 by just sticking a camera up it's behind to see exactly what and where the leak is coming from. Hopefully it will continue to leak from a easy place so it won't require major surgery like taking the throttle body off to tighten one clamp.

The camera I ordered was inexpensive, under $40.00. I have included the name below.

I put some photos to for enquiring minds. Oh Yeah Happy New year. And question and comments welcome.

Thank you,

Sophia

Attachments

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Oh no! I hope you find the leak easily and are able to take care of it. I read these stories and knock on wood, cross my fingers, pray to the ST gods that I won't have a coolant leak on my aged 04 (127k and counting) anytime soon but appreciate write ups such as this that will help me along the way when I do!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
First thing I would have checked is that if the shop pressed the prop in correctly, not only meaning depth 24mm, but that they supported the inner bearing race as the pressed it in.
I called the local shop today “we work on all the police bikes” speach, so we know what we are doing etc.
The just hammer it in place with a deep well socket, and eye ball the depth, as “close is good enough” it’s only a prop etc.
There are several other places and things to look for and check that can cause your leaks.
I’ve not seen many (any) YouTube videos that were close to being correct.
If you need some assistance I’m at the other end of the white courtesy phone.
:WCP1:

Bike
2003 ST1300
@Sophia nice writeup.
I've done the job myself and know the pleasure of lots of surgery just to get to the leak!
Larry (@Igofar ) is excellent at explaining things so reach out to him if you need to.
If fluid is not coming out of the weep hole, I think you've got a hose situation.

Hopefully you'll find the leak with your camera.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I too have the T-shirt and the little green puddle. It is frustrating.
+1 on @Igofar support. He can walk you through any job clearly and simply.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You already have aftermarket clamps on some of the hoses. A number of guys here have solved the leak problem with constant tension clamps. I'm not suggesting you change all of your clamps, but if a hose is leaking, and it is the OEM clamp, give some thought to replacement.

There is probably more collective knowledge here than on youtube, and having lurked around this site for a few years, I would strongly encourage you to search here for answers (blue bar atop this page, right end) first. Yes, I find the search function cumbersome compared to an index with page numbers (what's that? (revealing my age, I guess), but it does work.

Larry is as close to a professional mechanic as we are likely to ever have on our website (he is 'retired now') and will talk you through solving any ST's problem. Hover your cursor over any blue @Igofar and click on 'start conversation'. Send him your phone number and keep a pad and pencil handy. He will call you back.

You have an impressive set of credentials. Really? 3000 miles of hydraulic tubing? Who measured that?

Bike
ST1300@2009
Damn, that truly sucks.

I hope you manage to find the leak, this forum has really good folks and @Igofar is the man when it comes to any ST1300 mechanical issues.

I let the bike rest for a day like a surgeon would do after completing a vasectomy ( there's always a little residual after that surgery too).
That is a good one!
:-D

Top Bottom