Pair System block off plates

tailwind@ak.net

Tailwind
Bike
91 ST1100
Would someone be so kind, and measure the flange on your PAIR pipes. I would like to make a set of block off plates and do not have time to order any. What I need is the center to center dimension between the studs, and the overall width of the flange. I can't measure it myself because I'm in Alaska, and my bike is in AZ. Heading down next Tuesday for a coolant hose/timing belt change, followed by a nice ride up the Sierra Nevadas. Thanks

Bike
'01 ST1100
Too lazy to take off the maintenance cover, but I think I got some good measurements:

(I haven't really researched the PAIR removal mod, so I hope I've got the component that you're interested in.)

Center-to-center for the studs is 31mm. The width of the flange is 19mm.

IHTH!

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Just FYI, any Suzuki gsxr or Busa plates that "look right" will work. There are two types commonly available on eBay for Suzukis, one type is large and almost square... Obviously the wrong ones but the others that look right fit perfectly. I was going to make my own with a saw and a grinder but after an hour I only had one made and it looked like c**p! I ended up putting Hyabusa ones on mine. If you have access to a water jet, or Cnc machine, that's the way to go!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Uh, I thinks it's illegal to remove the PAIR system - EPA and all that .... So, what you might want to do instead of using blocking plates is cut the pipes back to where you can't see the cut, flatten the end of the cut tubing and weld them shut. No one ( except you ), especially the EPA spys will know the difference then.

I'm not saying I did this, but if I were to de-activate the PAIR system, that's what I would do....... I like the look of those pipes !!

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Uh, I thinks it's illegal to remove the PAIR system - EPA and all that .... So, what you might want to do instead of using blocking plates is cut the pipes back to where you can't see the cut, flatten the end of the cut tubing and weld them shut. No one ( except you ), especially the EPA spys will know the difference then.

I'm not saying I did this, but if I were to de-activate the PAIR system, that's what I would do....... I like the look of those pipes !!
This is what I have done.

OP
OP

tailwind@ak.net

Tailwind
Bike
91 ST1100
Thanks all for the replies. I made the plates per Digger1 and DeanR's measurements. We flew to Phoenix, tools and plates in hand. Spent a day and half in 100+ heat replacing all coolant hoses, thermostat, spark plugs, timing belt, removal of pair system, oil and filter change, and replacing rear brake pads. We are now 1000 miles into our trip through the Sierra Nevada's and the bike runs like a Swiss watch. Unfortunately though, I think most of my work was done in vane. There was nothing wrong with any of my hoses, and the timing belt looked like new. My bike only has 50,000 miles, but it's 22 years old. I let my mind go wild with the "what ifs" and decided to not take a chance riding through Death Valley in June with 22 year old hoses. Oh we'll, at least now I have peace of mind. Thank you all for your help.:bow1:

Top Bottom