Phone/GPS mount

What is the favorite phone/GPS mounting type/position for this bike? The previous owner had installed a RAM ball on a threaded rod through the stem, which was clever, but a little homemade for me. What is the best?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My GPS is mounted in the lower center of the windshield on a suction-cup mount, and my phone usually stays in a jacket pocket, just in case the bike and I get unexpectedly separated.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My 1300 came with an aluminum bar bent to the curve of the top of the dash. It had 3 RAM balls screwed to the bar and the whole assembly was affixed to the dash through the two holes that secure the instrument cluster plastic to the top piece. This resided just inside the windshield along the top edge. In practice this worked fine for two items - the balls were too close to use all 3. I had a gps up there and the phone in an X grip.

Motorcycle Larry - a machinist/ST'er made a cover with a ram ball mounted in the center but angled toward the rider. I made a similar center piece with a powerlet centered over the steering axis. A wire ran up inside the pipe to the powerlet. MCL is long since gone, but his stuff comes up used now and then.

Some aftermarket folks sell a clutch/master cylinder reservoir cover with a ram ball attached. It fits right or left.

Someone posted pictures of a bar that he made that spanned the two handlebar sections. IIRC, he did some fancy machining and this looked great, but was beyond the capabilities of folks who did not have a metal working shop (read machine shop) in their basement and the skill to use those tools. We do have a talented crop of members who have done some amazing things.

My VStrom has a ram ball on the top of a vertical bar, which is drilled to match the brake/clutch lever bolts. It fits atop the inside clamp piece with a couple of spacers and longer bolts.

None is better than any other - its all what you prefer. I liked the bar that came with my bike because the phone and gps were mounted up high so I did not have to look down while riding.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I use one of these
and one of these

I mounted it halfway down the left handlebar and I can position the GPS in such a way that it easy to see yet does not interfere with the dash.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I put a ram mount between the handlebars. Easy to look at and still see the road. I tried it higher on the bars near the reservoir and did not like it. Same for on top of the dash. It was in the way. Here is the Street Pilot. When I upgraded to a Zumo, it was mounted in the same place.

P9120007.JPG

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Ram ball mount center as shown. I have one mounted, on another bike, on the left hand handlebar. I like the center mount better.Its right there with the other gauges.

IMG_0465.JPG

Top Bottom