Phone mounts

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I have a 96 st 1100. Can you all give me ideas on mounting your phone nav etc! I really hate the thought of modifieing the dash
Many thanks in advance!

I have a 96 st 1100. Can you all give me ideas on mounting your phone nav etc! I really hate the thought of modifieing the dash
Many thanks in advance!
See is this wil fit your bike: RAM-B-309-1U Ram Mounts Cycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base w/ 1" Ball

Bike
2010 ST1300
Once you have a RAM ball there are a variety of mounts you can use. RAM makes their 'X' mount in at least two sizes, and I think there are a couple of other styles. There is always TouraTech (for a princely sum) and iirc, someone posted a pic and an Amazon or ebay link to a $7 phone clamp that works on handlebars (like a bicycle - not sure what you have).

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I thought these looked interesting.....

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Once you have a RAM ball there are a variety of mounts you can use. RAM makes their 'X' mount in at least two sizes, and I think there are a couple of other styles. There is always TouraTech (for a princely sum) and iirc, someone posted a pic and an Amazon or ebay link to a $7 phone clamp that works on handlebars (like a bicycle - not sure what you have).

Thank you! I found one that goes around the brake or clutch resivour. $60!! Regrettably, ill need two. Navi and phone. But what the hell, its just money! The dash on the 1100 is weird as it leaves little opportunity to attatch things without cutting or drilling. I was actually thinking about a bar that went across the dash and would be able to attach on that.

Thank you! I found one that goes around the brake or clutch resivour. $60!! Regrettably, ill need two. Navi and phone. But what the hell, its just money! The dash on the 1100 is weird as it leaves little opportunity to attatch things without cutting or drilling. I was actually thinking about a bar that went across the dash and would be able to attach on that.
Check this at ebay:RAM-B-309-1U Ram Mounts Cycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base w/ 1" Ball

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've used an older quad lock for several years now, same one on my ST and I move it when I ride my VStrom. RAM changed the rubber grippers because on the older ones had a tendency to slip off the metal prongs (dropping your phone, etc.). Despite this flaw, and that I can pull the rubber tabs off the metal, I have never had a drop (or, any trouble at all) due to this kind of failure. They also sell a fat rubber band - a die cut piece of rubber that fits behind the X mount's arms and securely holds the phone in position. If you have one of the newer thousand dollar phones, it's very cheap insurance. Should you buy a used X mount, give the grippers a tug - if they come off, a small dab of construction adhesive or weatherstrip adhesive will secure them permanently.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you have a newer phone, one that does wireless charging, you can find mounts that hold and charge too..

Put one on my bike in the fall,, love it. The one I bought isn't weather proof, but there are some out there. I didn't see any at the time but they exist now.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think that TackForm in DeanR's post is one of the best bargains in a cellphone holder. My Wing buddy got one and it's a really nice piece o' kit and reasonably priced. It's what I'd get if I were in need another mount.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I think im going to look into a bar that goes across the dash and is screwed in next to the windshield. I looked at the resivours and worry about them denting or scratching. I prefer the u bolts. And, there is little on the resivors that i can clamp to. Also, i need three setups. Radar, navi, phone, so that res thing leaves me a bit screwed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've seen more than a few guys with the reservoir RAM ball. You might look at one before you spring for an alternative system. They are sturdy from what I've seen and one on each side gives you an uncluttered look. Just my opinion.

I have a 1300 that came with that metal bar on the dash with 3 RAM balls. Despite them being a few inches apart (I have not measured it, but I think the balls are about 4" on center) I have found I can only use two of them at once - it gets too crowded up there.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Thank you! Im still in the planning stage. As i get to know the bike, im sure ill change opinions ! I wanted to drive across the country with the beemer last year, but it turned into a bummer. Im sure my riding, knowledge and opinions will change as i move along.
I appreciate the thoughts others have and will continue to learn.
Again, thank you.

Top Bottom