Pilot Road Fan Goes for PR2s

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yes, I've been a Pilot Road fan since my first set in 2005. Like Curt, I got a set of PR's gratis from Dave at Motorace in return for our opinions of one of the few tires available for a 120/70ZR18. After 5,000 miles on the PRs, I concluded that I liked their dry handling, wet handling, and linear turn-in, but didn't like the noise they made. A Clearview GT Small, which improved air flow considerably, made the "PR hum" all the more noticeable. ("Am I driving a semi?") Earplugs or earbuds calmed the hum.

Conclusion: I ended up purchasing two more sets of PRs with my own money. Each time I got 8,000 good miles, although like every bike tire I've ever had they seem to go from "still pretty good" to "wow, these suck" in just a few hundred miles.

With ONSTOC on the horizon I decided to replace the latest set of PRs, which were just shy of the wear bars after 8,000 miles. I ordered PR2s from Two Brothers (I'd buy from them again...friendly, fast, cheap) and my buddy Dave (different Dave than Motorace) helped me put them on yesterday.

A couple observations:
  • If you install your own tires, prepare for a major event to get a PR2 on the back rim. If you use a No-Mar, use the system (the Yellow Thing was a help, as was the Gold Wing tire iron).
  • Another buddy of mine swears by balancing the rims, then mounting the tires. Last time I changed tires we did that and it worked...no more weights needed. This time we left those weights on the rims. The tires must be in perfect balance...again, tires on rims needed no additional weights.
The first ride was in the dark with three old tires strapped to the rear seat (Bikes of Burden, anyone?), but this evening I took a 50 mile ride on some of my favorite local back roads to feel them out. My assessment after this short ride is these tires rock. They're a bit faster turning in than PRs, but still smooth, predictable and linear. They make the ST feel lighter and more lively. And they're quiet...no hum! I hit rain coming over the mountain and the tires felt planted for the few miles I rode in the wet.

I'm guessing ONSTOC will be a blast with these new sneakers.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I had no problem getting the PR2's on either rim using the old fashioned method with tire irons and rim savers. I found them no more difficult to install than BT's or Metz's.
I did find in my case that I had to use a fair bit of weight to balance them up and I have had no issues with vibration or noise.
They stick like glue in the wet or dry and are a big improvement over the BT's IMHO. I have around 4K on them now and the rear is about 50% worn so they are holding up as well as any other tire I have tried.
You and your ST will love these new shoes Bones.
See you in a few days

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I did the Metzler Z6/880 combo awhile back and the Z6 really wanted to turn. I've had the Continental Road Attacks ever since and I wear out the sides before the center. They use two different rubber compounds and I find that I have good rubber in the center, but it's worn away on the sides. I have SmarTire, so I pay attention to the pressure.
I also have one of those fork clamps. It's wonderful on the freeway passing trucks with no wobble. It does make the steering firmer, but I'd never go back. I do sometimes miss the snick...snick through the turns, but, it feels like I've given up 10% carving the turns for 120% security on the freeway.

John

Top Bottom