Pirelli Sport Demon opinions

I am posting this to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I believe the tire in question is 6 years old. I've started experiencing increasingly bad steering wobble at above 80 mph. Constantly watch the tire pressure is 36 psi. Think everything else is solid. Your experience good or bad?

Bike
2008 ST1300
I ran Sport Demons on an old KZ650 and had no issues up to and including top speed, which was probably +/- 115 mph. Unless your tire has a defect or failure, or has worn funny. I've never heard of a sport demon on an ST, is the bike within the tires load range?

OP
OP
I ordered a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact 1 from Dennis Kirk. Hope it runs better than the Pirelli. Going to balance the Metzeler to perfection. Any Metzeler fans out there? Revzilla Review was very good.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I am posting this to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I believe the tire in question is 6 years old. I've started experiencing increasingly bad steering wobble at above 80 mph. Constantly watch the tire pressure is 36 psi. Think everything else is solid. Your experience good or bad?
If the wobble you're experiencing is a weaving oscillation that feels like the frame is rubbery, re-torque the front axle using the proper procedure to see if that helps. That procedure consists of fully tightening the axle first, with all 4 pinch bolts loose, then tightening all the pinch bolts on both forks.

Since you're changing the tire, make sure to use this procedure after the new tire is installed.

Bike
VStrom 650
My only weave experience was on Dunlops many years ago. Different make of tyres eradicated the issue completely. But I don't think I've ever run a Metzeler on any bike.
When it comes to the four clamp bolts, check the torque 2 or 3 times after each tightening sequence.
If the change of tyre doesn't change things then look further. I don't think it's a balance issue.
Upt.

OP
OP
After a closer look I believe I need to replace the bearings in the wheel. Have no idea how many miles are on them so replacing them seems prudent.

Top Bottom