Please help identify this

Djc

Bike
2008 honda st1300
Hello everyone. I bought a 2008 ST a few years ago and noticed this coiled under the passenger seat. The battery gave up so I’m replacing it and thought this would be a good time to do something with these electronic items. The web calls the Zettler a relay and the Centech an accessory fuse box. Question is do I need these items for the bike to run properly? Please pardon my ignorance as I’m not much of a farkle/accessory guy. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Attachments

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
Does the bike have accessories that run through these? The relay might be for horns or running lights. The Centech might power other items. Trace the wires to fine out.

If the wires due not go anywhere, you should be safe in removing the two, but be sure before you do the removal.

Just because you are not much of a farkle guy does not mean that the previous owner was not.

Neal

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like a 70amp maximum auxiliary power panel with a Zettler SPST 80A 12V relay to power it on when the bike is powered on. You have aux. lights or heated grips or sirens?

It looks like the BIG brown wire goes to the aux fuse panel and I'll bet the BIG red wire goes straight to the battery. It should go to a 80 amp fuse then to the battery.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
This is only used to provide power distribution to accessories. If this is not powering accessories and you don't plan on adding any electrical accessories to your bike like a GPS or lights - then you don't need it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Your Centech is an auxiliary fusebox. It was added by a PO to provide additional circuits for lighting, gps, heated clothing, or whatever accessories he wanted to use while riding. You will have to make a list of these - power outlets, lights, etc. and with the bike running and everything on, start pulling one fuse at a time to see what goes out. Make a list. The relay controls a high current using accessory such as an aftermarket horn or lights. A relay is simply an electrical switch that allows a low current manual switch to control the relay which then sends more current to the accessory.

To answer your question. No. But without the relay and fusebox, you will have to remove all the accessories that did not come with the bike from Honda.

That Zettler relay is listed at 80 amps, my seat of the pants guess (more accurate than a SWAG) is that this controls the Centech fusebox. When you turn on the ignition and the running lights power up, these might trigger the relay, powering up the Centech. These additional circuits are then said to be 'switched' - they go off with the ignition preventing battery drain from something (like a light) inadvertently left on. You will have to trace the wiring to figure out what you have.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I bought a bike that had the same Centech fuse block. I replaced it, because I needed more circuits. (I like farkles).

Your relay is definitely supplying power to the fuses, as evidenced by the brown wire on the relay running to the positive input on the fuse block. The large red wire on the relay probably runs directly to the battery. The small red and the black wire are to trigger the relay.

Here’s a picture with the cover off. The main hot and ground are attached the the larger screws on the left side. Individual circuits are attached to the smaller screw terminals, positive on top row, ground on bottom row.

You can unplug the relay to disable all of it. No taping needed. If you leave it connected, as Raymond said, put a piece of tape on the exposed section of brown wire, due to its close proximity to the metal case of the fuse block.

John

IMG_0692.jpeg

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
What everyone else said... but, heck if there isn't an excess of wire in that photo.

I'm not there yet, but honestly, probably only minutes away from adding a power panel to my tail section. Cheers to the PO for using a proper fuse block. Jeers for the jumble of wires.

OP
OP
Djc

Djc

Bike
2008 honda st1300
Thank you for the replies and sharing your experience. Now I have a project for a rainy day!!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'm not there yet, but honestly, probably only minutes away from adding a power panel to my tail section.
Sometimes, I have too much spare time on my hands and go overboard.

John

IMG_0449.jpeg

Reactions: Obo

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
@Nashcat so you took out 5 to add in 3? :)
That was day one. Somewhere I posted a list, but now can’t find it.

GPS
2nd GPS
Fog lights
Driving lights
Heated gear x 2
USB outlet on dash for phone
USB outlet in sidecar for Teddy
Cruise control
AUX power in sidecar trunk for laptop.

After 35 years of industrial control wiring, it’s easy to get carried away.

Hmmmm…Still have room for aux horn and coffee maker. Pffftttt

John

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom