OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Got no stinking converters on the 1100s
Thanks, Walleye, that was my recollection too.

Did you get any debris out? Other than carbon bits? Putting the shop vac exhaust to either end like you did should have shook some evidence of FOD or mouse occupancy out.
One would think. But someone who thinks would have looked in the vacuum For said evidence. And I didn’t, so now I know what I’m doing right after my late dinner tonight! Report to follow.

There was some carbon dust coming out but that was it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might try putting a compressor hose in the muffler, stuffing a rag around it, and turning on the air to blow the obstruction out.

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hi SMSW, I tried that first and nothing.

Opened up the vacuum and it was completely empty except for maybe a trillionth of a gram of carbon particles.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Used mufflers on ebay seem to be running from $66 to $75 with some folks asking $100 (each). Forget the compressor, replace the whistle on a diesel locomotive with yours, and really blow some high volume air through it. And possibly launch a mouse in to orbit.

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Lol! Good one.

I’ve got a set of Delkevic stainless steel headers and mufflers so I’ll swap the one now and test again. If it solves it, I’ll mount the second. If not, on to plan E.

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Finally found the time to complete the double mufflerectomy, switching the stock mufflers for the Delkevics, using the stock header.

Off the lift and backed out onto the laneway for the inaugural spring startup. Oliver, the oldest grandson did the honours: Ignition on, full choke and hit the starter button. It was almost anti-climatic. Starter whirred for a second or two and she fired right up.

And sounded great! And both sides had output!

It doesn’t hurt that they look pretty good too.

AD54C8A2-983C-4BED-9503-0EA44363B682.jpeg

Of course, I couldn’t help myself, I had to go for a spin. So 25 miles or so later, I’m a happy camper.

Problem solved!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Finally found the time to complete the double mufflerectomy, switching the stock mufflers for the Delkevics, using the stock header.

Off the lift and backed out onto the laneway for the inaugural spring startup. Oliver, the oldest grandson did the honours: Ignition on, full choke and hit the starter button. It was almost anti-climatic. Starter whirred for a second or two and she fired right up.

It doesn’t hurt that they look pretty good too.

Of course, I couldn’t help myself, I had to go for a spin. So 25 miles or so later, I’m a happy camper.

Problem solved!
Excellent.
I bet Oliver was one happy child. :)

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100

Problem solved!
Notice any performance changes after the amputation of the cursed muffler .

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Interesting question, Walleye. As I mentioned in another post, this is my second bike on returning to the asylum after 20 odd years on the lam. The previous bike was an 83 GL650 Interstate.

So I don’t actually know how the bike should feel. And, I didn’t renew the subscription on my butt dyno. Subjectively it feels pretty much the same, which is to say it pulls hard with the front wheel getting light in second and third gears as I wind it out.

It does sound better to me with the Delkevic’s, with an authoritative growl that I like.

Top Bottom