PMS. Am I losing my skills as I sit?

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. I’m sitting with my Mother while my brother vacations in the mountains and the Black Hills. I rode up here 8-30 and the bike hasn’t been started since. I promised mainly myself not to ride while being the principle carer for Mom.

I think I can hear it rusting inside as I walk by it during the day. I also feel like my special Florida flatland curve riding skills are rapidly corroding.

So I’m asking you Nord land guys, not to single out @NTausch but will I be ok to ride when little brother comes home on the 18th or will I need some refresher courses?

I’ve never had a bike with a PMS or is it me that gets the PMS?

Signed, Rusty

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
It's the rider that gets PMS, although I doubt if your skills are deteriorating much considering the number of miles you ride a year. I must say though after getting back from vacation with my wife this year, after riding around in a plane and car for a week, the first motorcycle ride felt a little different, but the second ride felt perfectly normal.

It's like riding a bicycle ,your body never forgets how to ride. You will want to warm up the engine and tires before dragging the foot pegs in the corners.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Soon you will be able to reexperience (is that a word?) the sensations of your first ever motor cycle/bike ride!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
My first 1100 came after a 20 year lay-off. Before that it had been a 650 twin with sidecar, and before that a solo BSA bantam.

I had the ST1100 delivered because I didn't know if I could ride it home. I was even unsure if I would remember to put my feet down when I came to a stop. I told my wife I'd need a few weeks before I dare go out on it together.

I rode it up and down the road. Over the hill, two roundabouts. About half an hour later we were riding it together.

I certainly needed to practice, but I was safe. I hadn't forgotten. Its like riding a bike. Oh.....!

Bike
VStrom 650
That's it for you Rusty, you're done for, your riding days are over. You'll be walking home, helmet in hand.....but that's a tale for another day.
Look on the bright side, your mother's tolerated you.
Upt.......

.......Who'll be parking up for 6 months soon.
:well1:.

Bike
2000 ST1100
No you will be ok Raymond. Some of us Illinois riders ( I'm talking about myself) hibernate our bikes Nov 1 to March 1 and yeah it can feel rusty the first two rides of the new season. But a couple 3 weeks you'll be ok.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
My brother of another mother. Once you get on the bike, find a gravel road and do that spinning crap that you used to do with Black Pearl at WISTOC and LOCSTOC. You’ll be fine.

I fear you are done. I only see two choices from here - a tricycle so you don't tip over (you'd look bitchin on a big harley trike) or - drive your car to Nashcats and ask Teddy to move over in the sidecar and ride with the more experience John. You can make vroom vroom noises and have great fun pretending.

All kidding aside, that new bike smell won't ever have started to wear off so I predict 30 seconds back in the saddle and you'll have the throttle pegged and footpegs dragging. Take care your momma - we only get one.

OP
OP
W0QNX

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
How is your Mom doing?
Sorry I never looked back on this thread until now. Mom is doing good enough for her age of 88 I suppose. She sure doesn't like the Kansas cold in winter any more but she won't leave the home state and move down here.

That's good to read, I guess by now your over the PMS ,I wish that was my only Health concern. Been suffering PMS since New years day , phone says will be warm enough by the end of the week if I want to ride in the Rain.

Sorry I never looked back on this thread until now. Mom is doing good enough for her age of 88 I suppose. She sure doesn't like the Kansas cold in winter any more but she won't leave the home state and move down here.
Has me wondering if her name is Dorothy & she just cannot stand to hear someone say, yet again to her: "YOUR NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE, DOROTHY"!

Top Bottom