Poor man's go pro

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
My cell phone is Droid Bionic, an older phone by today's standards, but very good nonetheless. I've got it loaded with all my music, which I can't be without, so mounting my cell phone on my bike was automatic. I've used Motorola's bluetooth stereo headphones for quite a few years, even before smartphones. Now I wear them under my helmet and listen to my music and, I can also easily take phone calls. My wife and I ride 2-up and she'll just call me when she wants to talk to me. She's trying a helmet with bluetooth built-in, which works OK, but I want better quality music. Mine is a relatively inexpensive setup. Not to forget I've got GPS at my fingertips. But, the reason I decided to post in this forum is because I've been trying to capture some quality video with my phone as well. Sure it's no gopro but it's not too bad either. The video link I've posted shows a lesser quality video. I had to turn down the quality to make a post-able video, but, with the phone camera setting on 1080p HD, it gives pretty good video, just not made to post online as 2 minutes is about 250MB. The lens on my phone is 8 megapixel. Less than 10 years ago, 8 mp would have cost an arm and leg. The mount on the windshield is a suction mount with two or three good licks. Gone about 6000 miles in the last 5 months and it hasn't fallen while on the road. Sure, I've knocked it off when cleaning the windshield, but I don't believe it will fall to the ground when it does. The phone is locked into the mount pretty good and the mount is plugged in via usb cable. I've also ridden through rain just fine, although I've mostly just grabbed the phone and stuck in my pocket when it rains hard enough. To capture video, I've made my first farkle. I've used the same mount, but I've bolted it to the top of the right mirror housing. I had to shim it in a couple of places to get a forward facing angle. The mounts are $8 new on ebay. I currently use the Motorola S-10 head phone. These do have a built-in mic and run less than $40 new on ebay.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1469540853291480&l=3906090656515126999

mount1.jpgmount.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom