Possible Clamp Find!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I ran across a website called belmetric.com, and found they carry ABA Blue hoseclamps, as am thinking about keeping some in stock to replace the cheap OEM clamps etc.
Anyway they also sell a CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMP - SPRING TYPE that looks like it might be perfect for the water joint hoses in our bikes.
Here's were I need some imput....the stock OEM clamp size is listed as 22mm - 29mm, the spring clamp CTC26 comes in one size 22mm - 26mm.
Anyone care to take a guess if they will fit or not? Do they measure the small end or the larger end for fitment?
Just looking for new parts to help with leaks.
Wadda say?

I ran across a website called belmetric.com, and found they carry ABA Blue hoseclamps, as am thinking about keeping some in stock to replace the cheap OEM clamps etc.
Anyway they also sell a CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMP - SPRING TYPE that looks like it might be perfect for the water joint hoses in our bikes.
Here's were I need some imput....the stock OEM clamp size is listed as 22mm - 29mm, the spring clamp CTC26 comes in one size 22mm - 26mm.
Anyone care to take a guess if they will fit or not? Do they measure the small end or the larger end for fitment?
Breeze has a variety of sizes too:
http://www.breezehoseclamps.com/breeze/constant-torque/

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Not being constant-tension, they may not do any better than the OEM clamps. It's not that the OEMs are cheap, they're just not the right type for the job. Un-sprung worm gear clamps will hold torque as long as what's underneath them doesn't shrink. The aluminum fitting on the engine shrinks faster than the steel in the clamp as it cools, which causes the clamp to relax and lose its ability to maintain a seal.

If they're the right width, those would probably do fine. I went with the Belleville-sprung clamps because they can be installed without disconnecting the hoses. A side benefit is that quarters under the throttle bodies are tight enough that getting in with a wrench is easier than pliers.

Do they measure the small end or the larger end for fitment?
Neither. Hose clamps are spec'd for the outer diameter of fresh tubing installed on the fitting. When installed, the screw gets torqued to a specified value, so a 22-26mm clamp will fit any hose with an OD In that range and won't reach proper torque until it's fully cinched down onto the hose. Because we're trying to fight shrinkage, non-adjustable spring clamps should be selected so the hose OD is in the upper end of the range so they hold seal at the lower end. (Not that I think we're getting 4mm of shrinkage.)

--Mark

Top Bottom