Possible "Pan weave" cure?

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Hey! I wonder if these will work? I've long had the suspicion that Honda set the rake just a hair too steep to quicken the steering feel over the ST1100. Now all I have to do is accurately point them backwards, increasing the trail, and the bike should be more stable!

Yes, I'm kidding.

Bike
2010 ST1300
That is a brilliant idea. You are, of course assuming that the guy who sold these to you did not have exactly the same idea, put the modified forks on his bike and promptly ran into a brick wall.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Reminds me of my first long ride with my new to me Combination. 22 years old.

I was about to embark on a 1 year course in North Wales. The other side of the country. I'd been knocked off my little BSA Bantam 175 a few months earlier, and Dad had convinced me to get a combination. We found a Cossack Ural 650 at the time - made from the tooling from a much earlier BMW. Great fun. I loved it, and had got the hang of steering around corners instead of leaning and leaning over the 'chair' to prevent it from lifting on some (left hand in the UK) corners. I soon became a dab hand. But I'd never had a bike so big and heavy.

Of course, I forgot about this feature when I travelled from Bethesda (this is the old slate mining town in N Wales, not the towns or establishments in USA) to the University in Bangor - enjoying the twists and turns of the A5, and then parked it against a wall in the car park. I was obviously wearing my Bantam hat, as it never occurred to me that to park downhill with my front wheel against a wall would be a problem - I was just thinking of the disadvantages of not having a parking brake on a steep car park. The brick wall solved the problem.

1676814125023.jpeg

It took a couple of us to push it back far enough to get it to face the other way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom