Possible Penske Issue

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Attention Penske aftermarket shock users with the 1300# Spring.

I just got off the phone with Lindeman Engineering, where I got the shock, and a Penske tech earlier and there has been a problem with a very few units. This is more of a information post than a "There's a Problem" post

A high quality anti-seize compound should be used on the threaded pre-load collar and corresponding threads of the shock body. It's recommended that the compound be applied and then the threaded collar run up and down within the anticipated adjustment range to fully coat the thread surfaces. This is an aluminum to aluminum contact that can bind solid under the pressure of the heavy spring unless the threads are fully coated with anti-seize compound. A reapplication of anti-seize should be a scheduled maintenance procedure. Yes, mine is one of the very few. :mad: It might be a good idea the check yours.

I'm off to WeSToc in the early AM tomorrow so I'll deal with the issue when I get home. :shrug2:

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks for the info. Has the problem been addressed by Penske?

OP
OP
Killtimer

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Thanks for the info. Has the problem been addressed by Penske?
Hard to say. Mine has been fine since I slathered Honda Moly paste on the threads. I usually touch up the lube every time I do a large adjustment. I haven't heard of any others having the problem so I may have been the only one. :shrug2: Another point. Many people don't adjust much after they find the best spot so they may have a seized adjuster and not know it.

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Doing winter maintenance - I've found I'm a victim of this. Adjustment ring completely bound.
Lindemann Engineering (sold me the shock) asked that I mail it back and they'd free it up.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Wondering if the expense would be worth the upgrade for riding two up,,,, opinions?

Top Bottom