Possible warped disc? and ABS issues

Hi all,
A friendly hello to everyone!
First post so hopefully not doing anything wrong,

Had the ST1300 (2015 ABS model) since the end of last year and clocked up a good number of miles, Absolutely love it
While at a friends unfortunately there was an attempted robbery on the bike, fortunately was using a disc lock and a chain around the back wheel.

As much as I am happy that the hoodlum got away empty handed (can't express enough how much I despise bike thieves :mad:) they have had a good go at the disc lock and i think in the process have damaged the disc and wheel sensor bracket on the caliper.
I had a quick look after the event and gave it a slow ride around the block to home, after feeling ok when moving it about by hand and thought that I may have got lucky despite a couple of tool marks.

Now the first issue that I became aware of was the ABS light staying on, had a look at the front wheel sensor and it looked as if it was off the disc more than it should be and slightly at an angle,
After putting it on stand and using a bottle jack. The wheel feels tight to move, after taking the caliper off on that side it started to move freely again.

To make matters worse i tried to bend the bracket with the sensor on with the palm of my hand and that part of the bracket snapped off :oops:. Super annoying but feel like a weld or a cold weld could realign the bracket as I can't forsee any further damage to the caliper, as would preferably like to avoid changing the entire unit.

However onto the subject of the discs, i'm in a real pinch to get the bike turned around again as its my only mode of transport. I would love to replace everything with OEM however the lead times (at least for me seem to be significant), has anyone had any success with the EBC discs and pads? I will give an example of what i'm looking at:
EBC XC- Series Front Disc - MD1154XC - planning to replace both front discs with this type.
EBC Double H Brake Pads - FA388HH Replacing all front pads with these

Any thoughts or words of wisdom? feeling a bit miffed with the whole ordeal!

Thanks in advance

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The EBC disc / rotor should be fine, but pads by EBC have proven problematical, particularly at the front.
Glad you got to keep the bike, at least!

Bike
VStrom 650
Jordy
Can't answer your specific question, but if it's dismantled post some pictures, sounds like the caliper pins may be bent?
Upt'North.

OP
OP
JordyB
The EBC disc / rotor should be fine, but pads by EBC have proven problematical, particularly at the front.
Glad you got to keep the bike, at least!

Me too and thankyou! it seems like the thieves have master keys now as from the CCTV didn't even bother to break the steering lock and stuck a key they had straight in the ignition, didn't realise that 'master keys' were a thing.
Thankyou for the warning, will likely fit the EBC pads and wait for the OEMs to arrive in that case if they are no good.

OP
OP
JordyB
Jordy
Can't answer your specific question, but if it's dismantled post some pictures, sounds like the caliper pins may be bent?
Upt'North.
I had a good look at the pins after taking out the current pads for a bit of a clean while being there, They seem ok when pushing the pins back and remounting they were coming out against the disc/ rotor evenly. Slowly applying more pressure to the pads and spinning the wheel eventually i could feel a bit of a tight spot on the disc and after getting everything set up again, the wheel moves but theres some resistance there. Unfortunately didn't grab any photos with it apart but will do when the parts arrive!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
It is possible that the aluminium carrier that supports the floating disc has been bent; compared to the stiff steel disc, the aluminium doesn't offer a lot of resistance. Best to put a dial indicator gauge against the disc and rotate it and check for run-out. The service manual specifies a maximum run-out of 0.2mm.

It may seem heresy to some, but I have been able to successfully pry the aluminium carrier back into place to correct the run-out and continued to use an otherwise unusable disc on my VFR800. I didn't explode or die afterwards either.

DON'T pry on the disc, just on the aluminium carrier, and use the dial gauge to move the high spots back.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I admire self fix it efforts mentioned above - some pics would tell more. I would definitely see if the disc has excessive high low wobble. If these hoodlums really put effort into the wheel lock or tried to move the bike forcefully along with what you described it’s inevitable you have sustained damage to the wheel carrier. Hope it’s minor enough to self repair.

Top Bottom