PR2 review

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Just installed a PR2 on the front. I have a about 100 miles so far.

Had the D220 that came on the bike with a BT020 on the rear go figure.

First thing I notice on the tire was it has a little quicker turn in. Second thing I noticed it became very stable in the turns. Less work to make it turn than with the Dunlop.

Overall a very positive feel can't wait to run the back out and replace it.

I ride about 400 to 500 weekly. I'll update again later.

STOC #
I look forward to your review of the PR2s and the mileage you get out of them Tim, I was really on the fence between those and the Storms, depending what I get out of the Storms and your review I will know what I want for my next set.

I will say I have about 150 or so on the Storms, love them so far.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for the review Tim!!!

I put my tires on June 16th for my 8,000 mile ride out West... Can't wait!!! :D

I will ask ya a question I just have rambling around in my vast (((Empty)) brain...

Ride on???

I use to use it all the time but had a weird wacky vibration that only vibrated when it was hot out... Cold morning??? Smooth... As it heated up,,, V I B R A T I O N!!! :(

I had Ride On in the tires and have not used it since... BUT,,, with a 8,000 mile deal coming up,,, once again,,, I am thinking about it... I used it for 7 or 8 years with no problems at all... So,,, you have much to tell about using it,,, or how well it is suppose to balance???

It might have just been a wacky tire I got,,, but,,, a 8,000 mile trip is no fun with major vibration going on...

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

I have to be honest on the Ride-on thing. I know some riders like it. But being a tire guy I can't say that I'm a fan of it.

Not sure I like the idea of putting anything in the tire to balance it. If a tire only requires a 1/2 oz to balance it and you put Ride-on in it does it weigh more than that?

You can't believe the tires we balance that don't require weight. Even if tires require 2 oz to balance we never see them come back.

Just my thoughts not knocking anyones opinions on Ride-on it may be a great thing I just don't use it.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

OK guys a quick update. Took some measurements today on my tires.

I have a little over 2500 miles on them and the back measures 4mm.
A new back PR2 is 7mm. Seems to be a small flat spot devolping but not sure yet. Air pressure has not leaked down much over this time, added only once.

Front is 3mm, new is 4mm.

Still in love with these tires and the ST.

Have ridden in the rain several times and they are very stable at high speeds in the wet. You can brake hard and not worry about sliding out. I can ride almost as fast in the rain as dry.

So far Michelin gets a thumbsup from me.

mikefred

100/day 3-5 days a week
So, thanks to Tim, I have my PR2's on the ol ST1300.
About 200 miles on them right now (just had them installed on Saturday- bike back in my hands on Sunday) and they are super nice feeling tires.
After a little "squirmy-ness" in the first 50-75 miles (and it was more than likely me thinking to be overly cautious on the new rubber) these things ride nice straight away and corner like they are stuck to the road with velcro.

I'm going on a little trip this weekend, about 500 miles- two up- I'l chime back in after I'm back, but so far they seem to meet all the praise that they get around here>

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have had the PR2's now for 9300kms(5800mi) and they have been great in both dry and wet conditions. I did notice some funky wear patterns on both sides where the dual compounds meet at about 2k but experienced no adverse handling as a result. These tires really hold a line nicely and don't fall into the corners like the BT's. I am disapointed with the wear particularly on the rear though as it is totally worn out at less than 6k but the front is only 50% gone. These are great tires but I would go with the BT020's again especially if I was going on a long trip. Just to compare, I got over 9k on the original 020's and the rear was totally bald at that point with the front still having some left.

mikefred

100/day 3-5 days a week
So....two up, fully loaded cases and loaded top case.
500+ miles.
About 300 of those in the rain!!!!
A LOT of rain!!!
:03biker:

These tires are awesome.
IMO, better than the BT 020's I had on the bike.
These things stick REAL well in the wet.
I was riding pretty much the same in the wet as I did in the dry- I was still cautious though!

Straight line they hold nice and like newbornSt1300 said, they don't fall into the corners.
But they like to corner!!!!
I have maybe a 1/2 inch of virgin rubber on the edges from pushing them a little bit (hey, gotta see what they do!!!).
Didn't drag a peg, but scrapped the outside of my shoe a few times!!

There was a lot of just two lane roads as we tooled up to northern Michigan (Lake City for those who care).
Took I-75 up a ways to get out of the city, then took it to the "nice" roads.

So far after about 750 miles on them, I see nothing strange on them for wear- not that I would expect to after 750, and they feel great!

I don't know if it's the tires alone, or the mounting from my shop, but the "shake" that I noticed at about 40-50 (and others have/had) is gone.
It still pulls to the right when you release the bars, but nothing near where it was before.
I could pretty much ride it with no hands with just a little lean to the left if I wanted.

At highay speeds (70-95) they are nice and smooth, nothing weird to say at all- even at that speed in the rain they really stuck nicely (yes at one point I looked down and I was doing 90- in a seroius downpour! Slowed down pretty quick!)

So, don't know if it matters to anyone or not, but I think they are a great set of tires.
Now just need to see how many miles I can squeeze out of them.
But I think my next set, and every set here on out are going to be the PR2's (I'm not one for change- if it works well for me- why mess with it)
Unless something crazy happens when the start to show some wear, then I'll look elseware.

Bike
ST1300A
Just came back from a 6000 mile ride to the east coast and back on a set of PR2's. Great tires in all day heavy rain, sporatic snow and stickey on the twisties ( I had to try out the Tail of the Dragon). With over 6000 miles on them they look like they'll last at least another 4000 miles. There is a slight flat spot on the rear tread but with the dual compound tread, I think this is to be expected.

My previous tires were Bridgestones BT020's, Avon Storms, Michelin PR's, Continental Road Attacks on the ST. I like the Avons and the PR2's for all around performance. The PR2's are wearing longer than the Avon Storms. I think I'll get another set of PR2's when these wear out!

Old Vic :06biker:

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I have 2000 miles on my PR2s. So far, in all honesty, they do not feel much different than the Bridgestones that came stock on the ST. I hope they wear about the same as the 'Stones [9K miles]

I may be a bit different: I've had 3 sets of PRs on my old beemer so I'm a fan of the brand. It's just that they cost much more, yet I can't feel the difference on the ST. I'm probably just riding more sedately:cool:

I'll likely return to the 'Stones: they were stable at high speed, wore well, had the quick turn in I like, and cost less. YMMV.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I have 2000 miles on my PR2s. So far, in all honesty, they do not feel much different than the Bridgestones that came stock on the ST. I hope they wear about the same as the 'Stones [9K miles]

I may be a bit different: I've had 3 sets of PRs on my old beemer so I'm a fan of the brand. It's just that they cost much more, yet I can't feel the difference on the ST. I'm probably just riding more sedately:cool:

I'll likely return to the 'Stones: they were stable at high speed, wore well, had the quick turn in I like, and cost less. YMMV.
I was just searching the board for input on the PR2s... I'm due for new skins, and have always ridden the BT020s - I like them very much, and typically get 10K at minimum out of a set.

However, I feel compelled to try the PR2s just to see if I like 'em.

Your post hits home at the right time. No reason to switch just 'because'. I don't ride hard, but at least the 020s have become a known commodity to me, and I trust them. :yes:

Top Bottom