Pre-load Adjuster

Bike
2004 ST1300
Just completed my first service of the pre load adjuster. Easy peasy.
Flushed and filled with jack oil, compressed the internal piston, topped off and bled air.
Engages firmly now at 1 turn, but no clicks anymore.
Cleaned ball and spring and knob, and added a very small amount of grease on spring (miniscule).
Grooves inside of knob look fine. Bike only has 6,000 miles on it.
Haven't ridden yet to see if everything settles and clicks return. Raining here.
Is this normal or did I miss something? Shouldn't it click?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
It should click every 180 degrees. It's harder to hear the clicks once you start feeling the resistance while turning the knob...

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Oddly enough I can feel but not hear the clicks when backing the knob out, but not when turning it in. This is with engine off, and front wheel in a chock, rear wheel on the ground (if it matters). Maybe I set the knob screw too tight?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Try removing the spring, stretching it so that it is longer and will exert more pressure against the ball, reinstall.

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Just did the spring stretch and cleaned the inside of the knob again and some improvement.
Still clicks more loudly when unwinding.
I'll ride it as is for now and check again later.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the best of conditions the click when turning clockwise isn't that obvious. If you look closely at the outer surface of the knob there is a tiny circle that corresponds with one of the two clicks per turn. I painted it and also two stripes on the barrel of the knob white so the clicks aren't necessary to setting preload to my needs.IMG_8818.jpg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
In the best of conditions the click when turning clockwise isn't that obvious. If you look closely at the outer surface of the knob there is a tiny circle that corresponds with one of the two clicks per turn. I painted it and also two stripes on the barrel of the knob white so the clicks aren't necessary to setting preload to my needs.IMG_8818.jpg
Thats what I did also. If you look closely at the handle, it has slightly raised areas 180 degrees apart where the ball and spring are underneath. Like Dduelin, i dabbed a spot of white paint so that I can see the revolutions if I cant hear the clicks.
In my opinion, using grease might slow the action if the ball. I cleaned mine well and put it in clean and dry. I can still hear the clicks.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
No need to stretch the spring, the grease you added is probably just keeping the spring from moving enough to engage the detent etc.
Just clean everything and put it back together with a simple drop of oil and your clicks should return.

Top Bottom