Pre-load and rebound settings

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
What settings do you all use or recommend? I weigh about 200 lbs. & was wondering what are the best settings for regular highway and around town riding.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
You may as well start by cranking the preload (the big knob) almost, if not all the way, up. Clockwise.

Rebound (the small screw at the top of the shock,) just a "tick" back from full closed. About 1/2 - 3/4 turn counter clockwise.

Here is a good place to start searching.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38515&highlight=rear+suspension

Keep your eye peeled for information posted by Raven.

I have a saved site on how to set the rear "sag."

Can't remember where I found it but, shoot me a PM and I will send you a copy.

This would aid you in setting the preload.

In the meantime for your weight, crank that big knob (prelaod) clockwise till it just about or, completely stops.

Go ride and see how it feels.

Adjust the Preload on the high end to start with, and the rebound to the hard side of things. I weigh 265# plus gear, and run the preload pretty much all the way up (one or two clicks from full, just to be different) and the rebound is 1/4 turn from full hard. Nice ride, matches the front end pretty well when not loaded up with full cases and a tail bag.

Play with the settings, ride for a few days, make a change, see how it feels. It's not hard and fast, but something that you feel in the seat of your pants when things are adjusted correctly for your style.

OP
OP
Paawpabear

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Thank you everyone for all the ideas and suggestions. I just love the internet. Before the internet, there is no way we all could have met and shared common interests and great information with each other.

Bike
GL1800 - Goldwing
I am somewhat opposite of previous post suggestions. I prefer my preload soft; almost all the way counter-clockwise, unless I am loaded for travelling. Then I crank it to firmer setting. On the rebound damping, I leave it set to the max damping (softest setting, rebound is slower) all the time. I am 210 pounds on a good day.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
On a stock shock, if you are setting your rebound damping harder than 1 and 3/4 to 2 turns out from full hard, you are slowing down your suspension to the point of being dangerous.

Max damping (slammr) and 1/4 out from full hard (hbonser) will dramatically reduce your traction because the suspension is too slow to respond to multiple bumps in the road. People like to set the rebound hard because it feels good by the seat of the pants but, even though it feels really controlled, it makes it much more difficult for your suspension to do it's job - keeping the wheels in contact with the road.

Please, please, please - read the rebound setting instructions in the STwiki and try it on your own bike to get your rebound set properly.

I am also on the opposite side of previous postings. I follow the manual and set the rear preload relatively SOFT. I have mine around 9 or 10 clicks and weigh 225 lbs.

IMHO the front spring is too cushy to make the bike ride really taught. If you make the rear too stiff, you will negatively affect the steering geometry, and the front end will be less stable (i.e. it will dance around on the highway especially).

For better stability, I say keep the rear preload down (and keep the tire pressures up, to 42 lbs, front and rear).

If you want a tighter, sportier ride, get a stiffer spring for the front first, then you can ratchet up the rear.

Bike
GL1800 - Goldwing
To Raven: I've had the ST1300 for 6.5 years now and 49k miles. I think I know what works for me, but thanks for your concern. I'll take you comments under advisement for future reference.

Im goin with the Rave. on this one. set my bike to her spec. Feels the best yet. Go girl!!!:D:03biker:

The problem I have with setting the rebound really soft is the rear seems a little too bouncy on the highway. In other words, it will rock up and down a little after going over a bump.

I guess I'm in the middle. I wouldn't go full hard; even a half turn out seems too hard.

But I can't see 1 3/4 to 2 turns out either. I'd be bouncing around all over the place.

So I'm 1 turn out most of the time; but a little firmer if the wife's on the back....

Top Bottom