Press To Talk Switch

I am using the Autocom system with a FSR radio for my bike to bike communication. I would like to mount the Press To Talk switch on or near the left handle bar. Ideally I would like to press the switch without taking my hand off the bar. Anyone have switches mounted like that? If so could you post some pictures showing your set-up. Thanks.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The PTT for the Autocom comes ready to mount on your grip/bar... comes with zip ties and instructions :)

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Same question I had Rocky17. I know it is meant to go on the left grip, but I'm concerned it will take space where I normally like to rest my big, fat, thumb. I wear XXL gloves. In my post I asked for other potential locations and only got one other spot: Disassemble the PTT housing and install the switch in the RIGHT side switch housing, there is a flat on the housing that is supposed to have enough room in the hosuing for the switch and wiring. Haven't installed yet and I'm still not sure what I want to do.

Also, I'm trying to find a good accessable spot for the Kenwood FRS, my BMW RT buds have theirs in the left front pocket and I'm thinking the same for my ST1300A. Again, not sure yet.

OP
OP
Sherob, the PTT switch that came with the Autocom sucks in my opinion. When you mash the switch there is no feel or click that let's you know if you have made the connection, especially wearing winter gloves. Switches like that are very cheaply made (although Autocom charges you a bundle) compared to metal contact switches. I lopped the Autocom off and have attached a good PTT (aircraft type). I had problems with the Autocom switch from the start. My problem is that there is not much to anchor anything on the left handle bar, except for the clutch reservoir. When I had the Autocom switch was anchored as in your picture.

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Hey guys* I`m not familar with the 1300,but here`s what works on mine and others 1100,Joyce`s VFR has the same set-up. We were able to buy some leftside switchgear from UK (seems they have the`flash to pass?`light feature). My friend Reg Siemans wired them to use as PTT. Seemed simple (for him to do). And they work excellant. Sorry,I am unable to take/post pictures. Perhaps Reg will chime in.
Don

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
As Don said, I'm also not familiar with the 1300.

Does anyone in the UK know if they have a flash to pass trigger switch on the Euro 1300s?

Don and I are both using Starcoms but I would think that the Autocom PTT is also a simple normally-open momentary-closed button. While a Euro passing switch from a ST1300 might be the most stealth solution, a trip to Radio Shack for a suitable NO switch and bit of fabrication should do the trick.

Byron

STOC #
rocky17,

Can you post some pictures of the switch you have?

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
I mounted a switch as described in the Garage Door Opener Article for my PTT switch. Although there is a lot more room in the left hand switch housing.

The following diagram is one way to wire a PTT switch into the Pro 7 Sport via the 12v power connector. This is basically how I wired mine and it works great.

Autocom PTT.jpg

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
As can be seen in the schematic of the previous post, the Autocom PTT switch is simply a N.O. SPST switch disregarding the features of the toggle switch. I am using the stock switch but I removed the toggle switch that allows for VOX transmit and constant transmit. I had no use for those features and found them counterproductive when the switch got unintentionally bumped.

Ray

Top Bottom