Preventive maintenance under the plastic

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Since I’ve picked up a 2006 ST1300 with sidecar, I decided to look under the plastic to see what changes were made and to take the time to correct some factory wiring problems before they arise. The wiring problems relate to bad grounds, causing all sorts of problems such as non-start and lights staying on after the ignition has been switched off. I’ve done these repairs on 3 bikes now, mt first ST1300, as well as 2 others, owned by @seawalker and @Indian Express .

First, I’ll start on things I found. Under the seat, I found a PIAA lighting relay. Hmmm. I walked around to the front of the sidecar and found that both lights are PIAA halogen. Nice to have, but look like a pain when I have to change bulbs.

IMG_0433.jpeg

Then, laying behind the battery was a 5 circuit fuse block. Nice to have, but not the ideal location, since it would see water and road grime. It’s been removed and will be replaced by a 12 circuit fuse block under the rear seat. I didn’t really care for the metal cover of the first one. Too close to the wiring.

IMG_0434.jpeg

Next, I started pulling all (well almost all) the plastic. Since a couple of the sidecar mounts run through the cowling, I’m trying to move the plastic out far enough to work.

IMG_0435.jpeg IMG_0436.jpeg IMG_0437.jpeg

I’ll be adding additional ground wire jumpers to the 24 pin connector under the left upper cowling and to the yellow grounding block, behind the right headlight.

IMG_0438.jpeg IMG_0437.jpeg

While I’m under the hood, I’ll be removing a headlight modulator as well as replacing stock headlamps with LED’s.

At some point there’s the Audiovox electronic cruise to install.

Stay tuned, that’s all can handle for today. Did I mention that I’m working on the floor. The hack is too big for my lift table.

John

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Seems you haven't forgotten much about the ST, if anything.
And your busted knuckles and dropping screws remark in the coffee thread had me wondering... are these issues specific to the ST1300?
I think not!
But the little plastic snap pins aren't widely used in modern bikes. I hated them on the Blackbird, and we're still not friends all over the DT plastics, either.
As a retiree, I'm confident you can find some time to resolve all the niggling inconveniences.
You and Teddy will be glad you did all this.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The saga continues. It doesn’t seem like I got a whole lot done today, partly because I had to make an early grocery run. Then another run to town, in the other direction, to pick up prescriptions, find LED marker bills, and then stop by Harbor Freight for some liquid electrical tape.

I managed to get the extra ground wire jumpers soldered in. While I was working on the yellow connector behind the right headlight, I decided to install new LED headlamps, as well as the marker lights. It’s so much easier with the headlight assembly out. I’m not sure I could have gotten the headlights installed with the light assembly still in place.

Headlights, out in the open.

IMG_0443.jpeg

Testing new bulbs. One marker light needed reversing to get the LED to work. I’m glad I caught it before putting everything back together.

IMG_0444.jpeg

Tomorrow is fuseblock and farkle wiring. Teddy got tired of waiting and took the car. IMG_0440.jpeg

John

Top Bottom