Proper Balance Technique

Ok, so I finally got the BT020 off the back rim, (damn those *******s are *stiff*), cleaned the wheel and installed the new valve stem. Mounted the wheel w/o new tire up on my Parnes balancer and it never ended up on the same spot twice after about a dozen spins. Does this mean that the wheel is balanced?

STOC #
Ok, so I finally got the BT020 off the back rim, (damn those *******s are *stiff*), cleaned the wheel and installed the new valve stem. Mounted the wheel w/o new tire up on my Parnes balancer and it never ended up on the same spot twice after about a dozen spins. Does this mean that the wheel is balanced?
Yes. It should be balanced.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All of those balancers look like they will do the job just fine. I use the "hold" rod from my HF tar changer in place of the axle and balance between two jack stands. Sometimes have to "jiggle" the rod to get the wheel bearings to move against their greasy static position but it eventually finds the heavy spot. All else goes as described in other posts.

At Avon STAR several years ago, the on-site shop had a hanging balancer, wheel sat sideways and a bubble showed the balance. Low side is the heavy spot, add weight on the opposite side til the bubble centers. I have car wheel balancer that works that way but can't fit a motorcycle wheel to it.

I was wondering if any of you "do it yourselfers" have tried Dyna Bead Dynamic wheel balancers as opposed to static balancing? My brother in law has used them for the last two sets of tires on his Vulcan 2000 LTD and swears by them. I was on a trip down to Yellowstone/Beartooth Pass with him this summer. His rear tire was starting to look pretty rough as we approached the Canadian border, so we started trying to find a replacement. Seems that the 200 series it requires is quite rare, and couldn't find one on the U.S. side, but found one in Cranbrook, B.C. at the Kawasaki dealer. They mounted it up but couldn't balance it as the wheel was too wide?! or something. He rode it home to Calgary, Alta. unbalanced, very unpleasant! He them put the beads in, and says it's smooth as glass. I have a set of new Bridgestones I'm going to put on in the spring, I've got the beads and will give them a try then. Cheers, ron

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was wondering if any of you "do it yourselfers" have tried Dyna Bead Dynamic wheel balancers as opposed to static balancing? My brother in law has used them for the last two sets of tires on his Vulcan 2000 LTD and swears by them. I was on a trip down to Yellowstone/Beartooth Pass with him this summer. His rear tire was starting to look pretty rough as we approached the Canadian border, so we started trying to find a replacement. Seems that the 200 series it requires is quite rare, and couldn't find one on the U.S. side, but found one in Cranbrook, B.C. at the Kawasaki dealer. They mounted it up but couldn't balance it as the wheel was too wide?! or something. He rode it home to Calgary, Alta. unbalanced, very unpleasant! He them put the beads in, and says it's smooth as glass. I have a set of new Bridgestones I'm going to put on in the spring, I've got the beads and will give them a try then. Cheers, ron
Never have tried those but I do use Ride On now so I get a good balance and some extra puncture protection.

Thanks Joe, I thought that stuff was just a sealant, didn't realize it was a balancer also. If the beads don't work out, will have to give it a try. I have the Green slime stuff in my toolkit for road side flats. Hopefully would get me out a bind. Ron

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've used the beads. Seem to work okay but I'm not that sensitive. I've run many sets of 'tars' with no attempt at balancing. Prolly drops my mileage some.

I carry a tube of the beads on road trips but have never bothered to use'em.

I'm considering the RideOn but I think it's too pricey. Wonder if any ol' liquid stuff would proivde the same effect. I can buy a gallon of tan sealer (for trucks) at the local auto store for $12.

mjblair

TooTall
Balancing is the easy part, bead breaking, unmounting and mounting the new tire is the worst problem and if you don't have the right equipment, you are going to scratch the heck out of your rims.

I recommend getting a tire changer such as the TC400 or equal which can be had for about $1000. In my opinion, You will not be happy with the manual tire changers. Too much work.

mjblair

TooTall
All of those balancers look like they will do the job just fine. I use the "hold" rod from my HF tar changer in place of the axle and balance between two jack stands. Sometimes have to "jiggle" the rod to get the wheel bearings to move against their greasy static position but it eventually finds the heavy spot. All else goes as described in other posts.

At Avon STAR several years ago, the on-site shop had a hanging balancer, wheel sat sideways and a bubble showed the balance. Low side is the heavy spot, add weight on the opposite side til the bubble centers. I have car wheel balancer that works that way but can't fit a motorcycle wheel to it.
Isn't the Harbor Frieght rod smaller than the ST's shaft?

Top Bottom