Proper grease on the rear caliper slider pins

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
Last time I did the rear brakes I used a synthetic grease the same kind as this user did:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brake-grease.136149/

When I inspected them this time(~8k miles later) they were almost dry, and it took some effort for the caliper to come apart. I was concerned last time I used too much grease on it, but now don't know.
In jfheath's article about avoiding brake pitfalls, he mentions a red rubber grease, but didn't see anything more specific

The pins look in good condition, but everything's a lot dirtier than when I did my initial pad replacement. Even though I think the pads look ok, I'm guessing that dust is from them.

Interested in hearing what brand/type others are using and any other suggestions while I've got things apart.
Thanks for the help.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Silglide.Red rubber grease is available from Toyota.No better imho,& super expensive; but works on electrical contacts etc.(never tried it on brakes as all the writing was in Japanese!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
All auto parts stores carry various brake lubricants. This is a very commonly used item so most auto parts guys (not the 17 year old ones) know exactly what you are looking for.
The brake lubricants that are used on cars work just as well on motorcycles. Just make sure that what they sell you is rubber safe and is designed for lubricating parts that move and are in contact with rubber as opposed to the high temperature anti-seize type of brake lubricants that are used for the metal-to-metal contact parts of a braking system.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I bought a small tub of black high temp brake grease probably 2 or 3 decades ago. You use so little of it I'll leave it to my grandkids. A very thin coating is all that is needed on any contact points.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I actually use silicone grease (Liquid Moly); water-resistant, not containing mineral oil (latter would cause the rubber boots to swell...)

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I actually use silicone grease (Liquid Moly); water-resistant, not containing mineral oil (latter would cause the rubber boots to swell...)
Yep, red grease = rubber grease = silicone grease = synthetic grease. Nothing made from petroleum, which will degrade rubber seals.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used Sil-Glyde for a while and it works well on my ST1100s.
I think my tube came over on the Mayflower. Though it's labeled as a NAPA product it was manufactured by AGS who still makes it under their name and other brand names. My tube states it's good from -20F to 600F while the current specs say -20 to 400F.

Top Bottom